Did you give your pets away?

Just curious if you had pets when you found out you were pregnant, if you kept them or gave them away... what kind, why...

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No way! My pets become part of my family very quickly and I love them all. Unless a pet was aggressive toward my child, I would not give it away.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• No! But my husband had to clean the catbox.
    Anonymous

• Why would someone get rid of their pets because of a baby?

ALL research points to the fact that living with, or being in close contact with various animals within the first year of life actually grants us immunity to their allergens.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• kept my two cats they had no problem with the baby they would go to his bed and meow when he was crying and know my son lays on the cat they have a good bond.....i know have a puppy that i got a few months ago.....its has all went well if you have a problem whith them you just have to work with them if they dont change or lash out then yeah get rid of them because to me a pet is a pet but my child is my life
    Anonymous

• I loved having pets when I didn't have kids, and would have still wanted them...but when I had my first it grossed me out having hair on stuff and having them close to my kids (at my in laws) so we haven't gotten any pets.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• if you have cats dont change the cat box always have somone do it for you
    Anonymous

• a little more info... my sister had a rottweiler that she had to get rid of when her first daughter was a toddler - the dog bit her - not hard but enough to scare them and had started acting weird. i have a lab mix who is generally docile and lazy but he can get super hyper at times. every now and then he gets overexcited and jumps on people. and little kids in particular seem to get him really wound - he tries to jump on them and hump them (my niece and the hubby's cousin's daughter). hubby wants to get rid of the dog because he's worried about him hurting the baby accidentally plus right now he is shedding something fierce and hubby is wanting things a little more sanitary - there is always a cloud of black hair where the dog has been. i'm very attached to the dog and he usually listens well, but usually is not always, plus the hair is out of control. not sure what direction to go...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• i had 2 dogs and kept them both! no issues! they love her and let her get away with murder, but i am very careful around them and dont leave them alone together. Also, best advice i ever got was to take some of the new babies clothes home to let them smell, that way its not like a stranger coming in to the home. My dogs handled me bringing my daughter home wonderfully! My dogs were also very hyper but they calmed down well when i brought my daughter home, i mean for a while they were still nuts but they learned "easy by the baby" and they will be jumping like fools & as soon as they are near her they stop dead in their tracks and pick back up when they have cleared her. Sure, she has been knocked over a time or two but I swear she brings it on herself by chasing them when they play lol. It takes patience but i love my dogs and though i have had to re-home 1 (long long long story) i now have 3 and wouldnt trade them!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• No way!!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• oh and the breeds i have are rednosed pit/boxer mix, rott/yellow lab/rednosed pit/boxer mix (first ones son! i used to have mommy too but she growled at my daughter so she left that day) and a 6 month old american staffordshire terrier....as i said before m dogs are great wiht my daughter and i love them dearly but as you noted at the beginning when leila (rott/yellow lab) growled she left immediately...i couldnt take any chances with my precious daughter
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2010