Fibroids?

At 18 weeks I had an ultrasound which showed a 22 cm fibroid 5 cm from the cervix. It grew since a previous ultrasound (around 10 weeks??) from 13 cm. I read that fibroids are common in women and it is common for them to grow in pregnancy and not usually dangerous. I'm freaked out because my aunt died from cancer that was first diagnosed by a grapefruit sized tumor in her uterus. Anyone else have fibroids during pregnancy? Any problems?

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Fibroids are not cancer. I have had them but not during pregnancy.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• One CM mom had them and started eating chicken and meat that was free of hormones and antibiotics and she was able to cancel surgery. The fibroids reduced in size and she no longer had a problem. Try that. It can't hurt.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I don't have any personal experience with this, but I do know that there are pretty obvious differences between a normal uterine fibroid and a cancerous tumor on ultrasound. They are different shapes and consistencies. If there was any reason to be concerned about cancer your doctor would tell you.

Take a deep breath, it's all good :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• thanks. i know they're not cancer but it still freaks me out... right now it's small / negligible but growing. thanks for the tip. i used to buy hormone free meat but my food budget has shrunk - it's totally worth it. we don't eat alot of expensive meat like beef so i can probably swing it if i wiggle a few things
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• The ultrasound tech told me at one of my first ultrasounds that I had a couple small uterine fibroids. She wasn't really supposed to tell me that, but she did. My doc never said anything about it, so I assume they're nothing to be concerned about.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:26 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I found out I have fibroids too. The docs didn't seem concerned about it. I'm pregnant and they did an ultrasound for baby then on me and that is how they found it. Alot of people don't know they have it. There are symptoms. It isn't deadly. You can have complications with pregnancy. I'm having a c-section but not because of fibroids, it is because my last pregnancy was a c-section but it would be possible to have c-section anyway due to the fibroids. I don't know how big mine are. I read a website that tells what it is, the symptoms, surgery, types of fibroids,etc...here it is....http://www.ucsfhealth.org/adult/medical_services/womens_health/gynecology/fibroids.html
    I want to research it more because I have possibly two of the symptoms.
    Hope that helps.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 8:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2010