• In the Spotlight:

Is it normal for my two year old to enjoy touching herself?

She seems to get a thrill out of it, and to be honest, it really bothers me! When I'm changing her diaper, She'll take the diaper wipe from me so she can wipe her vulva area by herself! Is this normal? Please tell me it's normal!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• She is just wanting to help wipe herself. If it was just about touching herself, she wouldn't bother with the wipe. My daughter wipes a million times while sitting on the potty even though she has never actually "used" the potty yet. She sees me do it and she wants to do it too, but just doesn't seem to have control yet over her bladder/bowels, but she thinks sitting on the potty and asking for tissue and then wiping is fun.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• TOTALLY normal. Don't be one of those mom's that freaks out at any form of masturbation.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Yes, Its normal.. Imagine putting anything body part in a diaper all day.. would you rub on it a little if it finally got free for a minute, lol. I've had three girls and they've all done this same thing, its completely normal. Little boys grab themselves too.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 8:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Some think it is normal, some don't. Haven't we talked about this a zillion times before? LOL.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, it's normal. She's just noticing that it feels different than most parts of her body. Think about it as her realizing that wiping herself when you take off the diaper feels different to her than say, rubbing her belly or touching her nose.
    Don't make a big deal of it and she'll stop.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• yes, it is completely normal. don't discourage it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Yes it's normal. Doesn't everyone love to touch themselves? Do you feel like it's wrong when you do it?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 8:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• yes noraml, and to the first poster it is NOT masterbation!!! JEEZ! she wants to help wipe herself..
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Yes it is very normal. Young children will even masterbait. They do not know exactly what they are doing but all they know is that it feels good. They are just discovering their bodies.
    Anonymous

• If she "enjoys touching herself" It IS masturbation. Just because she cannot yet understand why she's doing it,it still is this. Mom,you have a kid that realizes it feels good when you wipe her vulva,and she wants to do it too. We are sexual beings from birth,not just from puberty! You got to relax!
    Anonymous