troubles with daytime naps and boredom

My baby is about 5 weeks old, and for the last 4 days he has been having troubles sleeping when he is tired, he'll cry and cry till i put him in a front carrier, in his car seat (and we go for a ride) or till he wears himself out.

I try rocking him to sleep and singing to him, but he still cries. I don't want him to get use to falling asleep w/motion either. He also cries when he is bored, i try to walk around with him, and he stops, but i can't ever seem to set him down and play with him..sometimes i can in his swing or on his changing table, but that's it..he'd probably be in his front carrier, but again, i don't want him getting to use to that happening every time..there must be something else i can do.. help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Also, try a sound machine set to white noise where he is sleeping. There is no harm in using the carrier, It can be a life saver and he is still so young. I still wear my 14 month old.
    As for boredom, does he like the exersaucer? And what about walks in the stroller?
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Do you wrap him in a blanket?

Answer by louise2 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• @lousie- bit during the day time..i could try that..

i'll try anything at this point, i feel like such a horrid parent when he cries and i feel like i can't do anything.
    Anonymous

• This is what I did if my baby cried and I did not really know why she was crying. I would Give her a bath, Change her diaper, feed her burp her. Made sure she was not sick,had a fever. After that I would just let her cry for a while. 

Have you  tried sitting down and laying him on your lap and bumping your legs up and down or swaying them back and forth? It is an easier way of soothing then walking back and forth.

Answer by louise2 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Cont: I forgot to mention, that he'll be up and intrested in the world, and then get sleepy, i know he is sleepy and try to help.
    Anonymous

• try the 5 s's: swaddling, side/stomach positioning in the parents' arms, shushing, swinging, and sucking
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 9:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• try gas drops too, they can work wonders! :)
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• They spent nine months being "moved" to sleep in your womb. You can't expect it to change overnight.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Most babies fall asleep at the breast. The milk they get after 10-15 min is high in fat and makes them sleepy. The hormones also make them sleepy. Often babies will only sleep at the breast. This sleeping time counts as napping.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2010