Does anyone know anything about coccidia and roundworms?

So I was supose to get this new kitten today and the forst mom called me today and said the the kitens have coccidia and roundworms and if I still wanted the kitten and that the kitten is on meds for ten days.I already have a cat that is two years old and dont know if I should still get this kitten.She said that she can hold on to the kitten for ten more days untill she is done with her meds and get her retested to make sure that it is gone.What should I do bc I dont want my cat to get sick and caught it and I also have three kids too and I dont want them caughting anything.We were so excited to get the kitten and we have been waiting already for a month to take her home and now this.Any advice will be great.
Thanks in advance for the advice

Mamato2angels

Asked by Mamato2angels at 8:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Pets

• It is a rule of thumb that all puppies and kittens have round worms. I wouldn't worry about your older cat getting the roundworms. Coccidia on the other hand, is very contagious between puppies and kittens. And depending on the type of Coccidia, it can be contagious to humans. I say wait the 10 days, and get the kitten if her fecal tests come back negative.

I adopted a kitten that had Coccidia. I didn't know it when I brought her home. Only when she broke with diarrhea and a fecal test was performed was it discovered. I then tested my dog and other 2 cats. My dog and one of my cats came back positive for Coccidisa so my Vet. advised I treat all the pets. Since I never licked my cats but, and always washed my hands after cleaning up after them, the chance of pet-to-human contamination was very minimal. So minimal that I didn't even worry about it.
    Anonymous

• Those parasites are contagious to other animals and humans. If the kitten is kept in quarantine and is tested and cleared by the vet before you bring it home, then you should be okay.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• i wasgoing to say the same thing as the pp. this is quite common with puppies or kittens if they don't get dewormed or shots early enough when born.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• No harm in waiting another 10 days, to make certain the new baby is free and clear of any and all worms. Explain to your little ones that the kitty needs to stay with the foster mom for a few more days, just to be sure that s/he will be healthy enough to come home to them. Not sure how old your little ones are, but you could probably explain some about the worms, how they can make a kitten very ill and also possibly make your other kitty ill as well. I'm sure your little ones will be anxious but if they understand some of the reasoning for the kitty not coming home just yet they will accept it. Maybe mark on your calendar the days till kitty is being seen again by the vet, and possibly come home to them. Maybe have them make the kitty a get well card and take it over to the foster mom, that might help them some as well. Good luck
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 12:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• All animals get them its no big deal and it easy to give them there meds but if you would rather wait its fine. but theres nothing really wrong with the kitten so i wouldnt see not taking it. our dogs have had worms like 4 times when they where puppys. mac would get them then not then get them lol we called him the wormy puppy. but its not really that big a deal as long as they have there meds.
    Manda_Evans

Answer by Manda_Evans at 2:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• It really is not a big deal, i have been feeding a Stray & just a few days ago i noticed that he seemed to have ringworms- i bought a de-wormer at the store & i could tell the next day he already felt better- The one i gave him has to be retreated in 14 days- So, if you get your kitten now make sure and ask about that so, your kitten won't turnaround & get them again! Wishing you lots of luck on your new bundle of joy!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 3:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2010