Getting a toddler to help you clean up their toys?

I try REALLY hard to get my 2 year old daughter to help pick up after herself. I want to teach her early on to keep up after herself, and feel it's important that they help pick up their toys when they're done. The problem is that she gets SO distracted most of the time, and just wants to play with the toys that we're trying to put away :(

She helps pick up laundry okay, she likes to help me dust and sweep and mop and everything, she just won't help with the things that matter most (the messes SHE makes).

Any tips on this one? Or is she just too young to really help much?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all.... Thanks for getting they're and their correctly, lol.

Anyway - this is typical. I have a dd that just turned two 3 weeks ago. She hasn't quite got it yet. But what i do (she loves books), so I just say.... "Sarah, put your books back on the shelf". I may show her with 1 or 2 books, then she finishes. Then we move on to the next toy and say "Sarah put your dolls in here". My dd does have a 6 year old sister and an almost 4 year old brother that show her how to do it too.

Just stay with it, she will understand. Of course, no kid likes picking up their toys. So I schedule 2 times/day to pick up toys. And if we are going to go somewhere, I simply say.... "Not until your toys are picked up (or whatever)". With my older 2, I also say "I'm getting the broom". They know that I am sweeping up any toy that is in the floor, so they know I mean business and clean up so fast, lol.

hang in there, and GL!!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 8:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• They all do that. You will have to just stand there and keep reminding her what she is doing. My 4 yr old still does it. If there are a lot of toys I help.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I work in a daycare and the lady who teaches the 2 and half year old to three year old room likes to give each kid a bucket and tell them to fill it up. It makes it a game and they think that it is fun. I can't talk though, because my almost three year old doesn't like to pick up her toys either. Be patient. It will come.
    BrierLisa

Answer by BrierLisa at 9:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Honestly, my frustration comes from trying to get her to pick things up, and not having to pick them up myself lol. I would be happy to just pick up after her, but I feel it's important for her to learn to pick her own toys up. It would be a hell of a lot easier to just do it myself.

Also, standing there and reminding her isn't doing squat. She just looks at me and smiles and goes on playing with what I told her to pick up. Even when I get firm with her, even right after having a time out for not listening to mommy. It drives me nuts.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• make it a game somehow. do it WITH her, not FOR her
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I agree, make it a game. That worked for me with my three kids

Answer by admckenzie at 10:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• DS does the same thing. I just have to remind him. Billy, we're picking up, remember. Joey, you're getting me a diaper. Kevin, that goes in the bucket. We arent playing right now.
    Some days are worse than others, JJust keep him focused.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2010