What does a contraction feel like?

Hey everyone. I'm 29 weeks, 5 days and I think I had a contraction earlier tonight. I'm not exactly sure what a contraction feels like though. It started towards my chest and went downwards around my hips. My entire belly got real tight and almost hard. It lasted for about 30 seconds then slowly went away. I'm sorry if I sound dumb, but I don't know what happened.
If anyone can give me any insight, that would be helpful.
Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Like cramps... if you lay down you will see your stomach tighten and release if you are having contractions.
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• That sounds like a contraction. But no worries. They are most likely braxton hicks (practice) contractions. :)
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• That sounds a lot like a braxton hick, which is a sort of practice contraction your body will be doing off an on to get you ready.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• You are probably having Braxton-Hicks contractions. My dr always told me that as long as you are not having more than 4/hour and they are not painful, then not to worry. Of course if you ARE concerned then you really need to call your OB.

I had BH with my last 2 pregnancies. With both I was around 20 weeks pg.

How do they feel?? Its really hard to describe IMO. But it is a crampy type feeling that will sometimes go up and down, but it can also go AROUND your stomach.

Sorry - I just really don't know how to tell you :-(.

Good luck!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 9:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Like period cramps...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• i agree with these ladies.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• It feels like your muscles in your tummy are tightening up. And i would say, atleast at first, it's less intense than cramps but eventually they do get stronger.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 9:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I'm the OP...for some reason I marked that I wanted to be annoymous. The thing is, it DID hurt. I'm not sure if it was an actual contraction or some sort of heavy duty heartburn. (Lately it feels like I get heartburn from my cervix up lol...tmi?)

I think it was mostly just scary for me, because this is my first (after losing a baby last year due to miscarriage)

Is it more than like BH even though they kind of hurt?
    SapphireMomma

Answer by SapphireMomma at 9:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• my braxton hicks contractions did hurt. but not nearly as bad the real thing.
    Anonymous

• well with both my kids i never felt braxton hicks i was at 6cm when i got to the hosp with my first and 4 cm with my second i didnt have really bad pain i thought it was false labor but my mom had me go...good thing cuz i was in active labor...but as for he stomach geting hard and softing your body is geting ready for labor even though u still have a while your body is geting ready but if it continues id call a doc and see what they say....congrats mama
    Anonymous