what would happen if that oil from the spill went inward to land because of a hurricane?

i can just see those areas and those people gettin sick , and some how a fire gets started...with that oil all over builings, land ect....there wont be much hope for anyone

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Deewater is right in the middle of the busiest hurricane path. At best a storm will hamper cleanup efforts and halt relief well drilling. With the well still pushing out oil, you may as well just paint the gulf black. Yes, the oil will be further dispersed, which will make it even more difficult to clean up. Storm surge will push the heavy crude as far on to shore as the surge reaches. Oil will be pushed deep into the marshland, under the thin top layer of silt, which will all but destroy the ecosystem. The hope for the marshlands is that they can keep siphoning it off the top and prevent it from contaminating further down. With a strong storm the probability of that drops to slightly more then 0. With a little luck we won't have a major storm until the relief well is drilled, cause god only knows if something develops now and comes into the gulf and damages the rigs that are drilling that well, we're back at square 1.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I don't know, I heard some people on TV say that it would be good, although I have to admit I don't see how.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I listened to a meteorologist discuss this exact issue on the Hannity radio show on Thurs. He said this exact situation happened in the Gulf in the late 70's except the spill was bigger than this one is to date. The hurricane actually cleaned it all up. The rain pounded the shore clean, the wind dispersed the oil, and the whole thing was a huge plus. I don't know about the fact this oil continues to flow where that oil had stopped at 36 million barrels. This is a link to the story about the 1979 spill. We recovered then, and we'll recover now. It is just the time between being "sick" and being "well" is hard to endure.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/05/ixtoc_oil_spill.php

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• ***I was going to take out the 36 million barrels**** couldn't find the exact number. Sorry about that.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• So, the Ixtoc blowout experience shows us that if a sandy beach is already fouled by oil, a hurricane can help clean up the mess. However, the situation is different along shores with marshlands, where the many shoreline plants offer crevices and tangled roots for the oil to accumulate in. A hurricane will help scour some of the oil out of marshlands, but the majority of it will probably remain stuck. This is also true of rocky beaches. Rocky shores fouled by the great Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska in 1989 have been pounded by many hurricane-strength storms over the years, but these storms were not able to clean the beaches of oil like Hurricane Henri did for Texas' beaches in 1979.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1492
    Anonymous

• I have no clue but I bet it would help more than hurt.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2010