Unassisted Birth

Do you think unassisted birth (giving birth at home with no professional attendant) should be illegal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No.
    And who ever said that the women should be prosecuted if something were to happen to the baby, stop and THINK about all the implications that you are saying:
    Should a women be prosecuted for delivering a stillborn, whether at home or a hospital?
    Should a doctor be prosecuted for attending a stillborn birth?
    Should a women be prosecuted for having an unplanned out of hospital birth?
    Should a women be prosecuted for having a planned homebirth midwife present, but deciding not to call/ birthing too fast?
    Should that same midwife then be prosecuted for not being there?
    Should a homebirth midwife be prosecuted for something going wrong and needing a transfer?
    Should a person be prosecuted for simply saying: I take full responsibility for my health?
    Should a woman be prosecuted if she refuses an OB's recommendations, even if they are not necessary for a healthy outcome (such as augmentation or pain medication)?
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I think it should be retroactively prosecuted if the child is harmed or dies because of this decision.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• As long as mid-wife counts as a professional, then I think it should be illegal - even in the really old days, they had older women that helped the new moms.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My mother had my brother when she was taking a shower. The ambulance was called. That's all I know.
    Anonymous

• no. People should be able to choose for themselves.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I agree with ButterflyBlue - if the baby is harmed in any way, the mother should be prosecuted.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• if something goes wrong that could have easily been prevented by simply having a mid wife there, they should be prosecuted.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Um, no. Hospitals don't care about babies or the way women have them or even their wishes in birth. I actually think that hospitals shouldn't be able to have such strict policies with birth. It's the most natural thing in the world and yet women aren't getting to make their own decisions about the birth of their babies. I support unassisted childbirth.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• No, in fact I feel like it would be great to make it *more* of a viable option:
    Offer help to those who choose this so that they can more easily prepare for a safer-healthier-better experience.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• NO!!!! Illegal? Thats insane! My body! My choice.. Thats what they say about abortions right?! Well thats what i say about L&D! I should have the right to control what goes on with my body....

Prosecute a mother for baby being harmed during delivery at home??? What about all the babies that are harmed at the hospital?! It happens! What about all the unnecessary C-sections, inductions, and other stuff that happens to woman & babies AT THE HOSPITAL! Doctors would be out of job if we sued them every time they did something that wasnt perfect during delivery.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2010