Guilty Cathoics? (Actual question read details)

I am Bi-Polar. I have come to the conclusion that if I am ever going to get real help for my issue that I need to understand it. Now, I am by far no medical professional. So, I turned to an "old friend" the Dummies line... While I'm only just starting to get through the book I have come up against some great information. However, there are a few rather sarcastic remarks from the writer (which isn't abnormal) and most are rather funny. BUT, I read one a few days back that has kind of bothered me and I wonder how he got it bast the editors...

Here's what it says under common symptoms of depression:
"Feelings of worthlessness, excessife guilt, or inappropriate guilt. (If you're Catholic, this is may be normal; otherwise it's a symptom)"

Now, I'm not Catholic, but I was slightly offended by the jab at a religious belief in a "medical" type of book and it kinda threw me off a bit.

What are your thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• that is a bit much. even as sarcasm.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I am Catholic and the only thing I can think of is that some Catholics are shamed into doing what the church wants them to. Certain behaviors are thought to be a sin and certain behaviors are an embarrassment to the church.

If you are Bipolar and need medical or mental health treatment, then get the treatment. Bipolar is not an easy disorder to treat without meds and therapy. I wish you the best of luck.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• As a Catholic I find it funny! We (my family and fellow Catholics) joke about "Catholic Guilt". Really it isn't anything of real significance and some one that is Catholic would most likely see the humor in it. Bad comparison, but similar to blond jokes. Take it with a grain of salt........
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• When I said take it with a grain of salt, I meant the part about "If your Catholic"; Sure it was jab, and it's a little funny, but I can understand how someone can find that offense or just wrong, especially in light of discussing a true medical issue.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I think it's an old 'stereotype' of the religion. Sabrina did you ever watch the movie Dogma? If not you should; you'd like it - if so do you recall when Selma Hayek was first talking to Linda Fiorentino she said something about "you catholics treat your religion like a burden" or something close to that...
    Anonymous

• I did watch Dogma... But honestly I found it horridly boring. I don't tend to do comedy's well and certainly not stoner comedy. I felt that movie was horridly offensive seeing how all it did was poke fun at the beliefs and traditions of others...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I could have done with out the 2 'dolts'; but I thought if you ignored the crap packaging that really was just to bring in stoned teens; the actual msg and point of the movie was a good one. I felt the same way about Idiocracy; not about religion but; just the top layer of watching the movie was beyond mind numbing stupid; but then watch and ignore all that crap and what they're saying the msg they're providing is a truth about today and where we're headed; etc...
    Anonymous

• As a former catholic, I find it quite funny but also very true. I still suffer from the catholic guilt (when it is shoved down your throat for 12+ years that you are going to hell or, at best, purgatory, for minor infractions and that you are a sinner if you leave "the one true church," yes, you are going to suffer from a lot of guilt).
    Anonymous

• "Catholic guilt" is just sterotype. There's als "Jewish guilt".  (But hey, Catholicism is based on Judaism).  The Dummy books are suppose to be entertaining as well as informative, so I'd assume it was the author's stab at being funny and not be offended.  But it would indicate to me that the author was either Catholic or Christian since he choose the "Catholic guilt" idea instead of the "Jewish guilt".  People tend to feel more comfortable making fun of their own religon than someone else's religion.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• People tend to feel more comfortable making fun of their own religon than someone else's religion.
    ****
    Good point especially when meant for public consumption.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2010