Is anyone using a midwife and their insurance will not cover it?

I am very frustrated because my insurance will not cover the midwife that we have decided to see. They of course, will not cover ANY midwives. More than anything I want to have an at home water birth. There are many reasons for this. However, I am really nervous about the cost of the delivery. THe midwife charges a fee of $4400 for all the prenatals, delivery and 6 weeks of post delivery appointments. She is very understanding and will take payments. My insurance for out of network has a $2000 deductible and will then pay 50%.
I called the local hospital to find out the average cost of a vaginal birth delivery witout complicationd and they told me $4000 roughly. My insurance would pay 30% off the delivery after a $1000 deductible if we delivered at the hospital. But I don't want to have the baby in the hospital.
Anyone else feeling financial worries?

novemberbaby14

Asked by novemberbaby14 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think the money is worth it with a midwife. You don't want to pay a hospital that's going to try and force you into things your uncomfortable. And, if you factor in prenatal visits and such the hospital will be more.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My sister is a nurse/midwife and delivered my daughter. My insurance would not pay for a midwife, so I saw an OB (our family doctor had stopped doing deliveries) who allowed my sister to do the delivery.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• In the hospital they are more likely to "encourage" interventions which add up, too.

But the priority is health, safety, and a happy experience.
    I know that where there is a will there is a way... and it is worth preparing the most wonderful memory that you will truly value forever.

IMO, it's worth finding a way...
    ;-)

Will the midwife barter for services?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• i go to a womens health office that has both doctors and midwives. i chose to only see the midwives because i believe midwives are the better choice when it comes to pregnancy/birth. i have state insurance which is covering it. i'd say have a midwife do a delivery for you in a hospital. your wishes will still be respected because it's a midwife birth
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• mine wouldn't either and so i could have my baby at home like i would of loved. i kinda think next time i'm just going to have my freind deliver the baby ins or not. risky but i rather be at home. sometimes you just have to do whatever you heart tells you or if your in financial problems and ins would be cheaper sometimes you just have to do whatever you can and sometimes it can't be over extending yourself. thats what got most of americans into to trouble with their finances.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• We paid out of pocket for our birth ($3500 at the time, now $4000) but if we had gone through our insurance and delivered at the hospital, it would have cost us NOTHING.
    It was MORE THEN WORTH IT. You cannot put a price on walking away from a birth without injuries to yourself or your baby, no matter how "common" or "normal" they are.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• im sorry about your situation, it seems so odd that they will not allow any midwives. the insurance i have has a network of doctors and midwives, but they do not cover homebirths. i have been seeing a midwife this time, and am planning a natural birth in a hospital. im not entirely comfortable yet w the idea of a homebirth, but since its not an option anyway i havent given it too much thought this time.

we have a 500 dollar copay per day that we are at the hospital, and they dont charge for date of discharge so if it goes as planned, and as it did w my daughter, our total cost will only be $500.
    sorry i couldnt be more help, but good luck and i hope you are able to come to the right decision for your comfort and your wallet!
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 2:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• oh, and the copay is ALL inclusive, so even if i had interventions, csection or anything else, the cost does not go up.
    erika_wright

• i didnt have a choice thats who was at the hospital when i had my dd, just so happend to be the one i like the most was a midwife =) and there that night. you can have a water birth there too, having babies at home worried me for some reason lol..your very brave to do so. insurace covered the whole thing.i dont see a point in paying more and putting the baby or yourself at risk if something should happen god forbid. i know that woman have been for millions of years and still are. guess the birth part isnt that important to me i just wanted to hold my baby. my first one was a little crazy my nurse passed out and hit the floor, they hit a code blue and everyone saw me push her out lol. either way ill remember that day forever and having the nurses there to help for the first few days is amazing. tho i pushed to be out in 24hours bc i was so bored in there. good luck hope everything works out for you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• my insurance covers any CNM, and mine were in my network, but my insurance wouldn't cover any home birth midwives in my state, because hb midwives aren't licensed in my state so they don't consider them to be health care professionals
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2010