Where can I get?

Copies of foreign history textbooks that have been translated into English?? Does anyone know?

Since everyone here can only argue back and forth about liberal this and conservative that; I've decided I can no longer trust that what is published in school text books is going to be the facts of history and not some new sanitized and approved version.

Not only that but I think just in general it's good to know the views of our International 'neighbors'. I'd like to see what German & Japanese students are taught about WWII; or how into detail {or not} their books go in covering US history; since our World History classes seem to try to cram more and more in and thus actually leave more and more out...

Anyway I've tried google and not found anything of use; perhaps I'm not phrasing my searches right or perhaps such a thing does not exist?? Any ideas? TY.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband is a very avid reader--and goes to our public library weekly--checking out as many as 4 books on a variety of topics, and completing them by the next week. I think this is key to truly comprehending what happened when--from many different viewpoints. His interests are Military/wars, Presidents, economics (his Bachelor's Degree), Autism (because of our children), Home Improvements, etc.

He literally is a walking encyclopedia. If I have a question about anything, I ask him first--he's usually correct (and sometimes I'll Google his answers to verify their accuracy! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I think the only way to accomplish this would be to focus on a subject.. for example WW2. And find books that are american and foreign and go from there. You can go to your local library and check out books as well to save some money (some libraries now offer online services where they can ship a book to your library for pick up).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I lived  through it and my husband served in it.

You could write the Jap and or the German embassy in N Y or D.C..

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I'm not sure but my son is looking online for a physics book and all we can find is international versions. They happen to be exactly the same, just different numbers. Good luck finding a international books on our History. Just curious, but why would you think you would get what really happened through the eyes of the "losers"?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Just curious, but why would you think you would get what really happened through the eyes of the "losers"?
    *****

It makes sense to me to look at an occurrence from all vantage points. You know the old saying "My Truth; Your Truth; And what really happened" it should help give a clearer more full picture of what actually took place. Our school system has 'white washed' much of our history; whether in the interest of space/time to teach or more as I suspect to sanitize & downplay any possible past misdeeds and present the majority of our history in the best possible light. I'd rather not have smoke blown up my child's rear; I'd rather them know the truth; even if it's an ugly truth.

And on top of that I think it would also help us to understand why the world views us in the ways that they do; if we learned exactly what they were taught about us and our motivations etc
    Anonymous

• I'm afraid your not going to find a different version with the Japanese.

The Germans don't say much because they are not very proud of their history with Hitler. I can't blame them there any.

You talk to the older Europeans they love America because we liberated them in two world wars, and they are very grateful.

All we ever ask of them is for some land to bury our war dead. 

There cematarys are full of our war dead.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2010