How can I cope with being a mom?

I'm 25 and have a 2.5 year old daughter. I am single and have her all the time when I'm not at work. I'm going crazy! I don't want to be a mom anymore. I LOVE my daughter to pieces but I miss my freedom and social life. But on the other hand I have this incredable sense of guilt leaving her with a sitter since she is with one all week. Please help! I have no idea what to do!? I'm reaching my wits end!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you have family who can help?

Answer by admckenzie at 10:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Maybe you are just going through a phase, we all feel like we just want to run away sometimes, but we never could. Focus on what makes you happy about being a mom. Think about all the reasons you love your baby. You know she's way more worth it then you freedom, you'll always miss you freedom though.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• OP here.....I do have family. I live with family. But it's like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. I'm over come with guilt leaving her as often as I need a social break which is about 2 times a week. As it stands now I don't have any regularly scheduled outtings. I used to and I feel like I was much more sane then. The guilty feeling is new....
    Anonymous

• @Rachel, I probably am going through a phase but it's driving me CRAZY. I feel totally numb and just go through the motions of life right now. A complete empty shell....
    Anonymous

• Are ther any mom groups in your area you could join, so you still get out and socialize, but w/o the guilt cause your child is there also. (groups like MOPS, or just a playgroup that take turns meeting at each others homes or playgrounds)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 10:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I liky Nynne's suggestion. Even if you cant find one, or until you do, you can always take her to an indoor play area and bring a good book. You get some time to yourself and she's not at a sitter. It's not exactlly a night of drinking out w/ the girls, but it's a start.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• You just about wrote my life story! I'm 25 as well with a 2 1/2 year old. I work at home, so I have no freedom. With me it is just 24/7 kid. It's not that I don't enjoy my daughter and love her... but the past couple of days I just feel like I seriously need a day off. What makes going out even harder is finding something to do when you are pregnant on top of it all. I could get a sitter for the night, but what would I do? Stay at home and relax? I can do that when she sleeps. I have cabin fever to the max right about now. So trust me I feel for you.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I don't have any answers for you, hon. But I just wanted to offer some support. I went through the same feelings when I was a single mom to my 3 yr old daughter. I now how hard it is. ** hugs**
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 11:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I'm in the same boat right now- 25, single mom, 3 kids, recently divorced. I don't know if it gets better or not, but they have been holy terrors this week.

chin up. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I feel so guilty about leaving my son because I'm a single mom that I literally haven't been on a date in two years. I'll probably be single forever if I keep this up. Think about that. What is better a sane mommy who is happy and goes out a few hours a week or a mommy who is miserable and wants to run away from home? If you're like me, living at home, the guilt isn't yours its the guilt your family "discretely" gives you as a gift. Do what you can to make enough money to live in your own place. Then you will feel much better. You can have friends over for drinks or movies or whatever after your daughter goes to sleep and there is no guilt because you're home with her.
    Anonymous