My 15 month old is so constipated what can i do he's in so much pain!

-I give him prunes(baby food)
-I have cut down on the whole milk as of last week(no improvement)
-I give him juice
-he has lots of water
-i give him lots of fruit and veggies(not bananas or apples only once in a blue moon)
-he crosses his legs because he is so scared, he cries so hard, and he looks at me like HELP ME!
I have taken him to the doctor, she says "dont worry he'll be fine"...This all started when we switched to cows milk, he had no problem pooping before.

Please Help Moms!

Hunnysmommy

Asked by Hunnysmommy at 10:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• for severe ongoing constipation he needs a doctors elp and if his ped wont take it seriously, find a new one. dont wait. my infant son had the issue on and off severly for months and finally we changed docs to someone who gave a crap. now what you can also do, if the suppositories do not work is lubricate the end of a q-tip with vaseline, then gently insert the tip into his rectum, it stimulates the anus and when he starts to push, push his legs up for him. also lube his rectum a little so it ccomes out easier. we also added dark karo syrup to my sons bottles and it helped alot. good luck honey. poor guy, I hate that "mommy help me" face! poor lil lamb!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• this sounds gross but a suposatory for toddlers, you can get them at walgreens or wal mart.
    Anonymous

• They have baby suppositories at the pharmacy. That should help and it doesn't hurt.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• bananas constipate, apples help loosen up....you should be giving him at least 2 containers each MEAL of apples/prunes with juice in between etc. If he were having the runs I would say at least 2 banana containers a MEAL.
    Anonymous

• When we couldn't get to the drug store for suppositories we used to take a knife and cut a sliver of soap then mold it into suppository form. They poop it back out so it doesn't stay in there.
    Anonymous

• if you see that he is trying to go try helping him by pushing his legs up some toward his stomach...it may help
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Give him a baby enema,, I think they are made by Fleet,, it would help and then make sure he gets some fiber,, if he won't eat veggies give him some whole grain Fig Newtons,, but you need to give the SUppoitorie ASAP ,,, the feces (tmi) that is blocking him is probably too big to pass without pain,, good luck momma! hugs to you
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Prune juice always worked great for us. A good High fiber bread (The kind we buy has 6grams per slice and works wonders) Apples are GOOD for constipation, lots of fiber in apples.
    But if he's scared to go an enima might be your best bet. My sister's could would REFUSE to go, because they were scared. She had to give her DS enimas regularly.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• ...if you do give him prune juice or anything give it to him warm...try warm water..it may work if you dont have the juice right now
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Wow, i got more info here than the three visits i have had at the doctors! I have used Suppositories when it is real bad, boy do they work like a charm. Ok apples are good! Yes Bearsjen that is the only way i can get him to go i have to uncross his little legs:(. I will find a new doctor. Do any of you think it could be the milk? Thank you all sooo much!
    Hunnysmommy

Answer by Hunnysmommy at 11:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2010