How do I get my son to listen to me?

My son isn't 2 yet but he is already showing signs of stubborness and does not like to listen to me. If I tell him no or stop...that doesn't work. If I put him in the carseat after grocery shopping he screams bloody murder and then straightens his whole body so he won't sit.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He has no idea what "no" or "stop" means. Distraction is the best thing for children that age. I used to give him kisses or tickle him to get him to focus on something else. Their attention span is short so they don't dwell on the negative long if you replace it with positive (hugs and kisses and tickles)
    Anonymous

• I agree. You need to be creative. Don't get angry. Stay calm. I know it isn't easy! My temper tantrum baby stopped as soon as the negative behavior got NO reaction from us. Distract him as much as you can. Reward his good behavior (praise, hugs, kisses) and try to ignore the negative. As he gets a little older explain to him what is and isnot acceptable. Also, I always explained what positive thing we were going to be doing next so that they were happy to comply with what they had to do to proceed to the next activity. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2010