Levothyroxine/ Synthroid

Has anybody ever taken Levothyroxine/ Synthroid, and then quit taking it to take a natural thyroid supplement? Did you have good results? Or not? Stories please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Health

• I'm curious, so if you don't mind, what natural thyroid supplement are you referring to that would replace the hormone? If it's a kale supplement, I take a kale supplement to provide the iodine I need b/c I don't eat iodized salt, but it isn't a hormone replacement like the levothyroxine & synthroid are.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• What natural thyroid supplement? I didn't think there was anything natural that could replace all those hormones that you need. Also, every body is different, and goes through changes, which is why you have to be checked every so often (I'm at the 1 yr mark since I have been regulated for a while now) to be sure you are getting the right dose.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I would love to know if there is something natural / over the counter to take for an under-active thyroid. I have been diagnosed but do not have any insurance and have not been treated for it.
    PeachyApple

Answer by PeachyApple at 12:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I stopped taking it to take natural. Almost died. Hypothyroidism left unchecked and untreated can lead to heart problems, adrenal problems, problems with normal potassium and calcium regulation. Good luck. My TSH was 2 then over the next four years went up to 49 and it has taken me two years to get it down to 8. It doesn't work as well as the prescription. This is a "don't screw around with it" thing. It WILL damage your heart and cause you to have arteriosclerosis
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• This is anon :11 here, I was referring to Armour Thyroid medicine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Very good info anon:1:11, don't mess with your thyroid and the meds you are on.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2010