breastfeeding and no vax

We don't vax and my son is one and breastfed. If you don't vax, when did you stop breastfeeding or when did your baby self wean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• self weaned- though I selectively vax. We spend a lot of time outside, and all of the kids have a tetanus vax.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I would say that you may want to nurse until age two. Even your random standard Ped. Journals say that breast-milk is the most important food for babies up to age two.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• We selectivly vax and are still nursing @ 21 months.
    I would try to BF until 2 years when the immune system is fully developed.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• What does one have to do with the other? Is it because you think breastmillk supports immunity and therefor replaces vaccines?
    Anonymous

• I also don't see what the two have to do with each other. There are several recommendations from different organizations that say breastfeeding until at least age two is best for baby, regardless of vaccination status.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I'm the original poster ... I know that breastfeeding is best until age 2 regardless of vaccinating or not. But since baby does get antibodies and therefore better immunity from breastmilk it's that much more essential if you choose not to vax. My son is 1 year old and seems to be starting to self wean - I want to make it to 2 for sure because of our choice, but I don't know how to get him interested in nursing again.
    ObbyDobbie, when did your lo self wean?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• My daughter is 10 months and not letting up at all. She still nurses every 2 to 3 hours. If I let her self wean, at this rate, she'd be 15. LOL. I hope to go to about 2.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Breastfeeding isn't going to immunize your child or protect your child from the diseases that immunizations are used for beyond 4-6 mo. The only way that might work is if you got a disease like measles shortly (days) before the child and your milk protected your child. I'm not sure that would even work.

I selectively immunized. I breastfed my three children 6, 4 and 3 years.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• The World Health Organization says "Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond."

http://www.who.int/topics/breastfeeding/en/
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• He may not be self weaning at all. He may be just distracted by all the new foods. Our nursing sort of ebbs and flows since DS has turned one. Sometimes he nurses 5 or 6 times in a day, and sometimes it's just once. A lot of LOs dont like to nurse as much if their teeth are bothering them. Just offer whenever you can, dont force, or get your feelings hurt if he decclines the offer.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2010