Found a bean in my 2 year old daughter's nose and now I'm worried

I have NO idea how she got the bean... I'm soaking beans for chili tomorrow, all I can think is that one fell on the floor and she got it when i wasn't looking. She's been cranky and she told me something was wrong with her nose hours ago, but it could have been in there since yesterday evening, when I started soaking the beans. It only came out because she was crying really hard throwing a fit about not getting to put on a temporary tattoo.

I'm worried that there could be more than one up there, and if there are, that she could choke on it in her sleep.

What should I do? I know it's pretty normal for kids to stick stuff up their nose, but should I worry about this or let it go?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she's not saying it hurts anymore than I wouldn't think there was more up there. Also, her nasal cavities are pretty small so if she jammed more up there she wouldn't be able to breath.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• She never really said it hurt, she just pointed and said "nose!" like "Hey, there's something wrong with my nose." When I checked and didn't see anything and told her her nose was fine she let it go and didn't say anything else about it. She even nursed (meaning she HAD to breathe through her nose) and didn't say anything about it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:14 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I meant if there was anymore up there she wouldn't be able to breath.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• You're probably right... more than one would block nasal passages alltogether in all likelihood.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• raw beans can be dangerous, they can/will swell up and block nasal pasages.I would call her dr and ask what they think you should do...
    allycally

Answer by allycally at 12:38 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• My grandaughter did this several times. At one point there was a bead in her nose that the Dr had to remove. It caused a runny nose and discharge so these are things to look for.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2010