I need help. I just started potty training my daughter!!!

I started potty training my daughter today (2 1/2 yrs). She's been showing signs of being ready to potty train for months. So I took her to the store and let her pick out her own "big girl panties". When we got home I had the "big girls wear panties and pee in the potty" talk. We did the whole run down on where the toilet is (as if she didn't know) and what she should do when she needs to go potty. So I let her put on her 1st pair of panties. 10 mins into it she pees on the floor. So I sat her on the potty, cleaned her up and had her put on a fresh pair of panties. 2 hrs, 4 trips to the potty (with no success) and 5 pairs of soiled panties later she has figured out that whenever she wets her self she get a new pair of panties to put on and she is thrilled about it. I know accidents happen. So my ? is, how do I discourage her from wetting herself to get a new pair of panties with out getting mad at her for having an accident?

toomanygone1130

Asked by toomanygone1130 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep the drapes closed, and have her wear NO panties (or pants). Only thing that worked for my oldest.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Thanks tylersmom. I've ready about a similar method on the internet some where. Only thing the article didn't mention is in what way or how this method is suppose to be affective. Do you know? Thanks for your advise, I appreciate it!
    toomanygone1130

Answer by toomanygone1130 at 2:03 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• When we introduced our little one to the potty, we let her run around naked too & this may sound wierd, but for the first couple of days, I also had her little potty seat in the living room or whatever room we were in and would ask her pretty often if she had to go potty or if she wanted to sit on it. The first couple of days were awesome and then for a few days after that (once we put the potty back in the bathroom) we had a few accidents.
    It's really hard to not get disheartened but try to keep any disappointment to yourself because they really do get embarrassed and feel shame and that's just sad. Don't make it about you either: 'I had such a hard day potty training Jane today...' you're not the one changing your bathroom habits.
    Be positive and give lots of praise when they do go! Clap, do the potty dance, sing a song, whatever makes your little one proud.
    Be consistent. Don't give up. Accidents happen.. then they stop.
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 2:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• *~* I wasn't trying to sound like a 'know it all' or trying to be bossy with that post, it's just that I was in child care for 10 years almost and most of that, I was helping to potty train toddlers... whether I was a normal part of that classroom or not. :) Seriously, I've helped potty train dozens of children.
    But when it came to mine, I was dumbfounded. :) I knew that consistency was important. But I would really get so bummed when we would go days, even a week or so without and accident and then we would have accidents all day long and I would think, 'maybe we should just hold off...'. My hubby had to remind me to not give up. (love him)
    And when I would get bummed, I knew she could tell and I felt terrible for letting her know I was disappointed because she felt bad so I learned to not be bummed. Instead, I'd tell her 'It's okay, honey, we'll try again next time. Don't worry," and of course add: "I love you!"
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 2:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Thanks MayMommyTobe. I didn't take your response to be a know it all or bossy at all. I totally understand what your saying though. I knew I would be getting ready to potty train my daughter soon, so for the past 3 months or so I have been reading every thing I could find on potty training. And just as you stated with the whole positive reinforcement and not letting her know I'm disappointed when she has accidents and It all makes complete sense. And that's exactly why I pose the question of how do I discourage her from have accidents when every time she does in her eyes "She's getting a cool, new, fresh pair of underwear to put on". After the first 2 times she had an accident today she got really excited about it. Because that meant she got to go to her drawer and put on a new pair of panties. So how do i show her that it's not a good thing to have accidents with out showing her that I'm "sad' that she had an accident?
    toomanygone1130

Answer by toomanygone1130 at 2:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• LOL I completely forgot you asked that... wow, sometimes, when I get going, man I can't be stopped. lol sorry.
    Maybe try saying 'icky, there's pee pee (or poo) on your panties/legs, let's clean it off...' or something like that (but not 'eww you pee pee'd/poo'd' because of the whole shame thing.
    I did that from the start because I was actually worried she'd like changing her clothes... which she did lol. I tried not to make a big deal about the fact that they were new and when she would say something about 'another pant?' I'd say 'you need dry panties on cuz these ones are yucky now' and kinda treat the soiled ones like they were yuckier than they were (holding them far away from me with the tips of my fingers, you know?) She got the point pretty quick after that. lol good luck and sorry for the rambling on before! lol
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 2:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Another thing you can try is setting a kitchen timer for every 20 min and going and sitting on the potty for about 5 mins. This worked with my LO who isn't 2 yet. She is completely day trained and we turn 2 next week. I set the timer for an extra 5 mins later everyday once we started having success and decreasing the amount of time we sat on the potty by 1 min. I pretend the the wet panties are gross and make a big deal out of cleaning them and we don't have accidents hardly at all. We had one yesterday on the playground while we were waiting for our neighborhood pool to open and that is where the only potty is located.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:01 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• We just started training my son this week, he's 23 months. And the first day is by far the worst. With my son, it was like he discovered where the pee was coming from and was experimenting. He went through 6 pairs of underwear and only 1 in the potty, it was very discouraging. But the next day was MUCH better. He had 6 in the potty and 3 accidents.
    We try to bring him at regular intervals as well as watching for signs that he needs to go and any time he he asks (even if he was just there!) We reward with M&M's if he makes it to the potty and we don't scold for wetting his pants just tell him that it's Yucky and that he needs to potty in the toilet.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2010