Help!!!

I started potty training my daughter today (2 1/2). She's been showing the signs of being ready to potty train for months. So I took her to the store and let her pick out her own "big girl panties". When we got home I had the "big girls wear panties and pee in the potty" talk. We did the whole run down on where the toilet is (as if she didn't know) and what she should do when she needs to go potty. So I let her put on her 1st pair of panties. 10 mins into it she pees on the floor. So I sat her on the potty, cleaned her up and had her put on a fresh pair of panties. 2 hrs, 4 trips to the potty (with no success) and 5 pairs of soiled panties later she has figured out that whenever she wets her self she get a new pair of panties to put on and she is thrilled about it. I know accidents happen. So my ? is, how do I discourage her from wetting herself to get a new pair of panties with out getting mad at her for having an accident?

toomanygone1130

Asked by toomanygone1130 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I put dd in a long shirt and had her run around at home bottomless (try not to go out); it took about a week before she could get to the potty most of the time, and another week before she stopped having accidents. THEN we let her wear panties.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Don't give her a new pair every time she wets herself. My girls got one pair a day and if they peed in them they went back to the little girl pull ups. The sticker chart method worked wonderfully with my younger girl - she was fully potty trained in a week. Every time she went on the potty she got to pick out a sticker and put it on the calendar and she got little prizes for getting a certain amount of stickers and for staying dry all day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Miss Anonymous, how old was your daughter when you potty trained her?
    toomanygone1130

Answer by toomanygone1130 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• It's a total revamping of the thinking. I had this happen with my son. He was thrilled with those training pants. I think the whole training process was with me and not him. If they have had a great deal of liquids because the weather is getting warmer, you know they will need to go more often. What I did is let them wear the training pants but put them on every couple of hours. By following kind of a routine, she will learn that this is what is expected from her. It may not be right away because you are teaching her the right way to do it.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2010