Is it normal for my 8 year old daughter to be so interested in boys?

She literally throws herself at them and tries to kiss them. She had a boy friend over here yesterday and her sister told me they were kissing. I went outside and I overheard my daughter trying to jump on him and give him a kiss. I wasn't into boys until I was about 12. I am worried about her because she is so young. I know she loves to watch movies like romance movies. Her Dad isn't home much because of the shift he works and never spends any quality time with her barely talks to her, do you think that has anything to do with her behavior or do you think it is normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have an 8 year old and she wants nothing to do with boys. She still thinks they're "yucky" and doesn't even really want to play with them at this point.

Answer by missanc at 7:58 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• No, I don't think it's normal. My 10 year old daughter will sometimes mention that she thinks a boy is cute but that's it. She still thinks they are, for the most part, gross.

Even if she's just mimicking an older sibling/cousin and/or what she sees on TV, you need to discuss what's appropriate and what's not. And yes, if she doesn't get attention from daddy now, she look for it (the wrong kind of attention) in later years. It's never too early to start teaching self-respect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Get her involved with activities appropriate for her age. Romance movies not appropriate for this age. Talk to her father and see if they can do some things together, even if it's just reading , puzzles, going to play mini golf, etc. He needs to be a positive influence in her life or she will look for the attention she needs from others. Get advice from her pediatrician, friends, books about this age range.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• No it is not normal. My 8 year old daughter is not interested in boys either. She thinks boys are too rowdy to play with. Although, she has told me that a couple girls in her class have boyfriends. I asked her what she thinks, and my daughter said they're too young to date boys. I asked her how old should those girls be to date boys, and she said in high school age. Whew! You can imagine my relief lol. We had the boyfriend talk because her teacher told me that the same girls in her class were disrupting the class with their boyfriend behavior, such as: holding hands, kissing, and such. This is good that you noticed. Now you can sit her down and give her the speech. She could have learned it was okay in school. Kids these days are exposed to more things than we were. It wouldn't hurt Dad for him to talk to his daughter also. I know if my daughter had a boyfriend my DH would want to know about it.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 8:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• She is starving for male attention. Her dad needs to get more involved in her life, and you both need to be explaining to her the dangers of throwing herself at members of the opposite sex. Also, I would pay very close attention to what she is seeing on television, etc.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I was in to boys at a much younger age. I think it was because my dad was hardly home or I just liked them. I don't know if it's normal or not. I wouldn't discourage it, but i would definitely monitor her behavior around them and tell her what is and isn't appropriate to do with boys at her age.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 9:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• It seems she is exhibiting excessive aggressive behavior. I would discuss the inappropriateness of her actions with her, and see if she backs off. If not, maybe a bit of therapy in order.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• please take this time to talk to you child about sex and such. i have friends that were experimenting with sex at age 8! i have a friend who got preggo at 12! you need to tell her why its not ok for her to be kissing boys now and what kissing can lead to. you should also tell her how not to be all over boys for attention. question? why would an 8 yr old be left unsupervised with a little boy? my mom wouldnt let me have ANY boys over until i was like 15. she needs girl friends and girl activities.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Most of the kids on our street are boys, there are a few girls but they never go outside and play. My daughter has always been like a tomboy, she like bugs stuff like that. I have tried to get her some girl friends over.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I am not going to tell you it isn't normal. You can't define interest in others at a certain age it comes like everything else with maturity level. In a sense, I am not saying your granddaughter is more mature for liking boys I am just stating she is noticing them more. I have an 8 y.o. daughter and an 8 y.o. niece (they are 9 days apart). My niece is interested in boys and even said she had a boyfriend. My daughter thinks boys are friends but she still thinks they are kind of gross and all that stuff. Just explain to her that this is inappropriate. Talk to her dad and explain you think he needs to spend a little more time with her if he could.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:16 AM on Jun. 19, 2010