Would you attend a birthday party without a gift?

This is a bad week for me. My friends daughters are turning 3 and 6. I would love to go because she brings her girls to all of my daughters parties. I just dont have money this week to buy birthday gifts. I would feel bad if i showed up empty handed :(

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, but that's just me. One should never expect a gift either. Can you make something from home? You can even check out the dollar store. You would be surprised at what you can find there.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Idk... but I never expected my kids' friends to bring a gift. Just their presence to help celebrate my child's special day was enough. If the friends brought gifts great, but that's not the point of the day. To me, it would be a greater let-down if you and your child did not show up at all. But I can't speak for other moms as to what they expect. In your situation, I would buy a birthday card and still show up.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 9:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Yes, I would. Chances are the child is going to get lots of gifts, and it's not about what you get- they're not going to remember anyway. Have your kiddos makes cards for the parties, or go buy a card for a buck at the dollar store, and get your buns over there. They are your friends daughters, they would want you there.
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:03 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• All you have to do is call or go to her house before hand and explain how you FEEL and want to but just can't right now.I would totally understand & want you there still with your kids.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't. I assume your presence physically at the party is most important but the celebration factor always includes gift opening it seems for children. adults are a different story but afterall how hard is it to run and buy a bottle of wine for an adult, not very! Shopping for children can be difficult and costly so I think as long as there is heart behind it even baking some special cookies and putting in a container that says "Birthday (girl/boy) cookies ONLY" would be a cheap and cute gift to not have to come empty handed!
    snowflake7575

Answer by snowflake7575 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• no..thats like taking a shower without soap. Guess it just depends on how close you really are though???
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• No I would not. But if they are good friends of yours simply call and tell her you will owe them a gift. That would be acceptable to me. Just don't show up empty handed - that is so rude.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• If its at a house type party and i couldn't afford anything,I wouldn't feel as bad not bringing a gift. If it was at a Chuck E Cheese type place where the mom was paying for my child(ren) to attend,I wouldn't go without a gift.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Getting invited to a Chuck E Cheese party, then not going (for whatever reason) is so wrong. Those parties have to paid for upfront, regardless if everybody shows up or not. That would be a bigger disappointment than not coming because one is ashamed of not having a gift to give.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Wow I can't believe these answers. Way to teach your children to be superficial and selfish.

I would call ahead and explain your situation. Anyone who is a DECENT person would tell you to come along just for the fun. If they dont' then they are not someone I would want my kids around anyway.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:28 AM on Jun. 19, 2010