moms of 12-16 year olds i need advice please.

My cousin is 14. She attempted suicide yesterday. She swallowed a bottle of pills. I’m not close to her but I want to reach out to her. I just don’t know what to say. Her bf whom she had sex with broke up with her for another girl. Her dad who she sees on weekend is a druggie and her mom ignores her. I feel bad they just pumped her stomach and sent her to a place for a mental evaluation. The hospital would not let her go home with her parents. I want to call today but I’m not sure what to say. I don’t want to say the wrong thing. Please help me this poor young girl probably feels so alone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is a delicate time there is nothing right to say. Your support is all that is needed let the professionals deal with the problems just show her love. Maybe go visit her with some things to keep her busy, magazines, food, etc and just BE there!
    snowflake7575

Answer by snowflake7575 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• If she wants to talk about it, let her talk as much as she wants. Sometimes just listening to someone makes all the difference in the world. She wants to be heard because at this age they are struggling with kid feelings and more grown up feelings at the same time. Let her know that she isn't the only one that is going through something like this. And, something that my mom said that always gets me through, everything always gets better. Think about every situation you've been in, you get through it and move on, it becomes a distant memory.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• thanks ladies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I think the best thing to do is to do is tell her that you love her and that you are there for her. If she does want to talk then just be there and listen, let her get it all out and vent if she needs to. Hug her if she cries. Just let her know she is not alone and does not have to get thru this by herself. Be her support system.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Call her and say "I am here for you no matter what!!!" That should be enough. I was a very depressed teen it wa svery bad I was a cutter for 7 years(not cut once since I found out I was pregnant 3 years ago) Knowing I had people in my corner helped a lot. Just let her know you are there. There's not much more you can say. Other than asking if she needs anything. Even if she just wants to get out of the house pick her up take her for pizza you know something for her! Good luck!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Call her doctor at the mental place and talk with him. He'll relay the message.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2010