Should we tell the kids (14 and 10) that my husband might be laid off in Oct. ?

My husband's job just told everyone that they will be laid off in October except 10 people. Since they are union, they already know the 10 with most seniority. My husband is number 12 and there are two guys in front of him that might retire, which would put him in the lucky 10 spot. But that is "might" and "hopefully".

I want to tell the kids what is going on so we all know and can work together to save. My husband doesn't want to tell them because he doesn't want to worry them and he doesn't want his ex to find out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would tell them.. That way they can feel like a part of things when you are discussing cutting back certain areas of your budget and can't afford certain things. I would start making the necessary cuts now so that it isn't as big of a shock when October gets here and he is unemployed. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• why would you want to worry your young children? and if this is months away your hubby can be looking for a new job just in case. i wouldnt want my kids to worry about whether or not their dad will have a job, just make budget cuts without them, you are in control of the spending, not them.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't tell them just yet. October is still a good ways away and there is a chance he won't be laid off. If the others don't retire before say, mid-September and it's looking more like he will be laid off, you could tell them then, giving them a couple weeks notice. But, there's no real reason to make them worry so soon.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I think your children are old enough to understand, and would be more hurt if you kept this from them. If he thinks he;ll be laid off in october, he should probably get another job lined up pretty soon. It can be a scary thing, Good luck
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• The other thing I should mention is that this is a big company and we have other friends that work there. The other reason I want to tell them is because I don't want them to hear it from someone else. I feel like if we tell them, then we can answer their questions and nip in the bud any fears.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't tell them just yet. Closer to October will be soon enough. Maybe in August when you are shopping for school supplies so they understand why you are buying the normal amount. In the meantime, find out all you can about unemployment or whether you can transfer to another plant. Bank every penny you can now and you should be okay until spring. Get your Christmas shopping done now so you won't feel bad in December when you are living on unemployment.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Don't tell them, they will just worry. Have him start looking for a job now.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Why worry them? This is an adult problem, and you don't know what's going to happen. Start saving money and cutting your budget now - explain to the kids that it's the appropriate thing to do in this economy. You can enlist their help in saving money without scaring them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• We always tell our kids whats going on,only the older ones know. We tell them becuase they are alwasy wanting clothes,shoes,toys,game time on the computer,and places to go. So we tell them not to ask for these things because were strapped for cash.
    Anonymous

• Nope. Stick with the facts. When you know for certain, then you can tell them.

In the interim, they are certainly old enough to understand that the economy is lousy, and we all need to be frugal.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2010