Budgeting for #2

So we want to have a second kid but I am terrified child care for two kids will break the bank. What is your household income and how much do you pay for child care? Is it better to wait till the first is in school financially? Right now we pay $600 for child care but an infant would run us from $675 to $800.

MILFInProgress

Asked by MILFInProgress at 10:44 AM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• the only way we were able to afford child care was for me to stay home lol. my oldest his in school, and daycare for the baby would be about $500 a month, and i dont even get paid that much at my job if i worked full time lol.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I also stay home. We have 3 kids now (the baby is a month) and it would run us like $2000/mo in daycare for the kids. Its not worth the job and I'm happy home.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 11:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• If it is important for you to have your children close, I would look into whether or not you can be a SAHM. Even if you only do it until the oldest is in school. Not eating out, packing lunches, cutting back on car travel can all reduce the amount of money you need to function and maybe you can be there for your children rather than go back to work.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Your childcare bill would only go up to about $800 with TWO? My childcare bill will be about $1200/month with two this August. It will be tight, but we will manage. We bring home about $4500/month all together, after taxes. Next year DD will go to school and we will no longer pay $1200/month.  

Anonymous

• Wow where are you all sending your kids? The most expensive daycare I have found is just over $200 a week. And that is at the top quality Day Cares. DD goes to home care with a licensed preschool teacher and she charges $150 a week but doesn't take them under a year. And both of these places provide meals.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 12:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2010

• MIL is that $200/week PER KID? That comes to $800/month for ONE, and $1600 for TWO. That daycare is just as pricey it seems.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2010