How much does your family spend a month on food? How many people are in your house?

Today is only the 19th and when I was looking at our budget for this month I realized that we have already spent $425 on groceries. Usually our food budget for a month is $525 but I know we will never make it on another $100. We are only a family of 3, SO,myself and our 15 month old son. I cook a lot of homemade meals, but we end up spending a ton on gerber graduate meals and other healthy things for DS. Also I am a mountain dew addict and we buy about a 24 pack a week. Also I like to buy the more expensive meats.I was just wondering what other people spend?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We spend about $250-$275 for our family of 3 a month.
    We buy store brand soda (the ones at Kroger taste just like the Pepsi brand, I honestly can't tell the difference, except for the price being cut in half). We never bothered with the Gerber Graduate things either. We just fed her the same things we ate, but only mushier and smaller (cooked carrots instead of raw, other food cut up really tiny), it was a lot cheaper and she still got her nutrients.
    But, we live in Ky and they don't tax food here like they do in a lot of other places so we don't pay quite so much for it as most people do.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• there's 3 of us,my husband,son ,and I. We spend about $460 a month,but this includes non food items like paper products and health and beauty items

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Kiwismommy19, I also live in KY...lol
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• there is three of us. My husband, our 2 year old and me. We spend about 300 a month on food. Those Gerber meals are what is killing you we use to get them until I realized how much we were spending on them.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• There are 3 of us and about $450 including non-food items,, I think I would ditch the gerber graduates, before the Mountain Dew,,LOL--What is Kroger? We don't have them here,, but I am curious if the diet brand tastes like diet pepsi? I shop for almost all meat when it is on sale and freeze it,, we eat alot of chicken! it is getting close to the end of the month,, so I think you can do it,, have breakfast for dinner a couple of nights,, cheap and easy,, I don't think your spending WAY too much! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• There are six of us and we spend about 500 a month. I buy all store-brand, sometimes use coupons, stock up at a grocery outlet when I get the chance. We never did the toddler meals either. My kiddos have always just eaten what we eat. I also only buy the pricey meat if it's BOGO or marked down.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 11:16 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I spend about 150 a month on our groceries. This is for a family of 3. I cook4-5 nights a week. I buy more store brand than I do brand names. We don't drink soda. I do however take advantage of BOGO's at our local grocery store. I also shop at Save-A-Lot. If you want to save money you figure it out. You don't' have to have brand names and you don't have to have expensive cuts of meat. We buy the more expensive ground beef only because it has less fat. Otherwise we eat a lot of chicken and fish an d do more vegetarian type meals.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I spend about $525 a month. That's for 3 adults, and two children.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• we spend around $800 a month on groceries that is everything.. toiletries , food cleaning products diapers etc.. there are 10 of us
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• kimigogo, I think the diet store brand taste the same as Pepsi. It depends on the store though. Stuff from walmart taste more like Coke, stuff from Kroger (a grocery store that I thought was everywhere, but I guess not) taste like Pepsi. We have to do the store brand soda, we'd go broke w/my diet soda habit if we did name brand. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2010