How do you get past being scared of trying new things? I'm terrified of everything

I am planning on going to college. But I have no idea on how to get started. I would like to get a job. There are places I know I could probably get on at, but I'm scared to even apply. I mean I'm even scared to get a job at McDonalds or something. It's sad, but I can't even go try at the Dollar General. I'm just terrified I'm going to not learn fast enough or mess up someones order/change/anything and get screamed at. I need a job. I want to go back to school. But I get so nervous I cry. I don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• anxiety? .... i have the same problem, hope to have the $$ for therapy soon..
    My stomach hurts/cramps in new situations or anytime i feel i cant control the situation... College, job, traveling, being "normal" is hard alot of times...
    Good Luck.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• aww honey, i'm sorry to say this but I suggest kolonpins... or some other anti anxiety medication! and also, if this is a real real issue with you, you might be able to qualify for... da da daaa .... social security disability.
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 11:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• OP: Thanks girls. It's a huge issue for me. I need to make an appointment for this but I've been so busy. And sadly, I'm scared to even go apply for SSI. I am pretty sure they'd deny me. But I need to do something. I won't even order for myself at a fast food joint. I function okay enough to care for my kids, but it is so hard. I don't even have my drivers license because I'm too scared to drive. My husband does almost everything involving talking to people or being in crowded places. I hate this. :0(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I've been there. I skipped college because I didn't want to move, I was scared to leave my family, the town where I know where everything is, I was scared to go somewhere where I didn't know anyone. So, I got a job (Wendy's) and was scared shitless for the first 3 months. I would literally sit in the corner of the break room, on the floor, with my knees drawn up towards my chest, staring at the ground everytime I was told to take a break. I was scared someone would even look at me, let alone talk to me. I hated it, I hated the people, the not knowing anything or anyone, and I hated myself for feeling like that.
    The only thing short of going to a doctor is just grit your teeth, close your eyes, take some deep breaths, open your eyes again and go for it.
    Good luck.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Maybe you need a "chill" pill. Go see a doctor. It sounds like you have a condition of some sort. Seems like maybe something from your past is telling you that if your not "perfect" it's unacceptable. Thats not so.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Some people are terribly shy in their personal lives, but when you have a job to do you just get so used to doing it that it just seems to come natural. I think once you get into a position and get trained you will be fine. I would try to look for a job that doesn't require a lot of dealing with the public. If you are easily flustered, you will have a hard time when inevitably having to deal with a belligerent person.

There are some jobs that don't really require much of dealing with the public. They don't usually pay much, but you could look in to post closing at a mortgage company, or file clerk somewhere, medical back office if they don't require much / any experience. It may cause more anxiety to be looking for jobs where you would be dealing with the public. Good Luck, OP!

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I used to practice outloud, or in front of a mirror, asking questions, etc. Once I finally got up the courage to do an order at McD's I turned beet red the first few times. I would even say to peole 'I don't know anything about this', or "can you help me understand this", "I don't get this", etc to show them that I needed help or was uncomfortable. I found people more understanding if I gave these cues. Could your husband do some role playing with you? That would help a lot. I wish you all the best. You can do this. And your children need to have a role model of a self reliant mother.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I think you need to see a Doctor...there are medications for the kind of fears and anxieties you feel. I also think you will like yourself a whole lot more if you make an effort rather than depending on some kind of welfare.....that is taking the easy way out and you can't feel happy about yourself that way. I don't even think "anxiety" is a disabilty.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2010