My husband can't quit the fast food and cigerette habit

I have been diligently looking for work, and right now we've been very tight financially. In the last three pay periods, we have been borrowing against our overdraft protection. Each time we do this, there is a $30 penalty. During our last pay, auto-deposit, we were left with only $400 when the paycheck was $900. I found out that my husband took out money for his lunches. I told him that it's best to pack his lunch. His answer was that there was nothing at home to eat. We have bread, peanut butter, and apples. But, he rather eat from Burger King (and I saw another new pack of cigerettes that we cannot afford). How can I get my husband to stop his bad fast food and cigerette habit (and stop running the expensive air-conditioning)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Well being that I am also a part time smoker(I say that because I smoke outside and don't get to as much since I have DS alone all day) but the fast food I can understand. Tell him he is taking away from the family. But let him keep his smokes if he is only killing himself. Here is a website where you can get smokes really cheap. http://bestcigarettesshop.com/
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Well, cancel the overdraft option on your bank account. You can't spend what you don't have. Cigarettes are tough. I've never been a smoker, but from what I can see, smoking is very difficult to quit, and if you're in a stressful situation, it's probably harder. I would pack a lunch for him to help him out there, but cancel the overdraft so he can't get money that isn't there, and then ask for his ATM card so that money IS there when you need it for bills.

Your husband needs to grow up and be more responsible. There are times when adults have to give up things that they want in order to take care of their responsibilities. Time to be responsible.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I have a very hard time with sympathy with an addictive behavior when it's causing problems for the the family, moneywise or whatever the problem is. Cancel the overdraft and get his ATM card. Make him lunches.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• help him try to make small changes, men are really resistant when we try to tell them to do things. how about making a lunch for him, or taking him groceryshopping to show him how he could save the money by eating food from home. its hard for a man to understand that the 5 bucks they spent on todays lunch could translate into a loaf of bread and pack of ham to last the whole week unless you show him. luckily i dont have that problem since mine gets a free lunch at his job. now about the cigarettes, i dunno how to help you there, like they said cancel the overdraft, so that it wont go through if theres nothing there. make his start smoking the cheap ones, and talk to him about cutting back but often when a man is stressed its when he turns to things like that the most.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• smoking is difficult to quit and some people can't just quit on the drop of a dime. However if you can fix the fast food binge he is on. You can make dinners that will leave left overs so hubby actually has a meal to take to work if hunger is an issue, or you can discuss buying maybe 3/5 days a week and from the dollar menu vs. the value menu.

Since he is the one working and making the money at this point, it is hard to tell him to quit completely everything.. so compromise as best as you can.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• it's a small change at first, but that way you aren't taking everything out of him all at once, from there you can work on other issues a day at a time. Like perhaps packing gum or suckers for him to replace the cigarettes with.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I would put him on a budget-- and give him an allowance for his extras, and when his money is gone, he is out of luck!
    Anonymous

• Cancel his ATM card

Answer by rkoloms at 3:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2010