Should Doctors be sued if the baby and/or Mom dies?

Should Doctors be sued if the baby and/or Mom dies at the hosptail under their care?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Depends on if they were negligent. Sometimes the worst happens even if the docs to everything right.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• YES!!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Only if they could have reasonably prevented it. People die, in all kinds of ways, all the time. Just because someone does is no reason to automatically run to the lawyer. It won't bring back the dead.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Not always no. Unless the Doctor did something that increased the risk of death, or messed up, or completely neglected the situation, then no.

(examples: If the doctor administered the wrong drug, or completely ignored any warning signs, etc).

IMO people are too fast to sue a doctor over things that happen. If you look at your health insurance bills you'll realize it's mainly because Dr.'s have to carry such a high malpractice insurance to protect themselves from situations where a patient is injured or dies under their care, and in most cases, it's not really the Dr.'s fault.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• It's part of the reason we are having such health care problems in this country.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• hazel, this post is because everyone says a woman should be cahrged if a baby dies in a home birth. I would want charges on a Dr because I am trusting mine and my childs life to that Dr. I would want charges on a midwife as well. I feel only in a "free birth"(birth where no professional is there including a midwife) should a woman be charged! I would certainly sue a Dr. if something happened to my child or myself during childbirth!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Not unless neglect is proven

Answer by admckenzie at 12:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• AD, should a woman be charged if it's a home birth?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• It really depends on the circumstance. In my case, my symptoms didn't present in a way that the Drs. could accurately pinpoint what the problem was until the last minute. By then I was in critical condition with a very small chance of surviving. Our baby wasn't expected to make it at all. Because my Dr. did everything he could to save us, if I had mot made it, or if our baby had not survived, we wouldn't think of suing. My Dr. saved my life & the life of our baby & although she was born at 23 weeks, she's perfect & healthy.
    On the other hand, a friend of mine was in labor, but because her Dr. was on a golf outing & didn't want to come in, he had the nurses try & keep her labor from progressing & even when he was informed that the baby was in distress, he took his time getting there. Because of his negligence, her baby was born with severe cerebral palsy & other issues & very clearly could've been sued, but they chose not to.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• The difference with a home birth and a doctor being present is the doctor has training. If you do a homebirth and something happens that could have been prevented if the woman had tried to get medical care then the woman should be charged with something. If it is a no doctor/midwife present at a homebirth I agree charges should be done if there was time to seek medical care and it wasn't done. Sometimes we just have don't know what could happen or will happen. I personally don't want to try to have my children without someone who knows how to help if there is a situation I can't control. My oldest has cerebral palsy and I would never come back on midwife for it. Life happens, things go wrong. Unless it is complete and total neglect then no one should be charged.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 12:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2010