Am I the only one who does not understand?

OK so there have been amny women saying homebirth is horrible and if something happens the woman should be charged. But yet not a Dr if something goes wrong in a hospital.Why would the woman be charged with anything if a midwife was there? Why wouldn't the miswife be charged not the woman. Is a midwife not a trained professonal(for those of you who do not know they ARE)? Really ladies help me out here! What is the difference from having a baby in a hospital with a trained profesional and at home with a trained profesional?

delilahsmom1177

Asked by delilahsmom1177 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• this comes down to both the laws in yur state and also unfortunantly the medically /legal community. I watched a special recently and anything to do with homebirth is pretty much not taken seriously by "real" doctors. the insurance companies even fight the mom on paying a professional midwive, they deny claims left and right. basically our society thinks thata hospital birth equals a safe birth.
    and thats so not always true.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I answered last night that a true unassisted birth,meaning just family and friends with no medical training,is a bad idea,and if the child is harmed,the parents should be prosecuted. I see no problem with a midwife assisted home birth. I do think the doc/midwife should get in trouble if negligent in a hospital birth.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• butterfly, can you send me a link ot that uestion? These questions are my fav lol. Yeah see that's my point. So many say oh no a Dr should not be charged. But why should a woman be cahrges at all if there's a midwife there telling her everything is OK?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Because a doctor has years of education, training and experience. They are there to do their best but unfortunately even they are not GOD and things happen. But when someone with NO education, experience and training decides they are going to do it, they are just being irresponsible. Would you try to take out your child's appendix yourself? No.

Anonymous

• Nobody is saying by yourself. A midwife has years of training as well. Most midwives have more training centered around natural birthing process unlike Dr.s who use interventiuons all the time even when they are not needed. Taking out an organ that will kill you if it is left in is not the same as a natural human process like childbirth. Our bodies can not cut themselves open and take out organs but our bodies are designed to give birth! Do you see the difference?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• If you have the option anyway of giving birth with a midwife in a hospital, in a room designed to look like a home (which most hospitals have these days). Where you are only steps away from lifesaving help. Why would you chose to do it at home where there is no help. In an emergency calling 911 is not going to help when you may have only minutes to save yourself or your baby.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Bloo, do you know the licklyhood of things actually going that wrong without warning? A midwife can tell you that you are in need of help and be able to call for help within a good amount of time! I go to a hospital when I am sick people go when they are dieing. Why would you go to do something your body knows how to do?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I think I'm the one that doesn't understand why ANYONE would choose to have a home birth? We have come so far from the middle ages and yet so many want to go back to that...

But in response to your question, I think there is a HUGE difference between the two. I have heard so many home birth moms say "If something goes wrong we have the hospital on alert" or something similar. So my question then is why not just start there? For us if someone tried a local home birth and there was an emergency, they would die... There is simply no way to get them to a hospital in time because none of our local hospitals do births of any kind, you have an hour drive... A midwife is NOT a doctor, she is NOT able to preform medical procedures in the event of an emergency! I have a number of friends with kids, and I have 2... All but one delivery needed help. Why risk it just so you can say you had a home birth?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I think you are a bit mislead by the notion that you will know if something is wrong. I was lucky enough to have researched my family history and know what to watch for, had I not, I would have bled to death the day after having my kids... LONG after a midwife would have gone home. I had no pain, no warning, other than family history, and hemorrhaged both times because my body does not pass all the blood and clots after birth without someone actually going in after them. There is also the fact that my body can't labor alone, had I stayed home after my water broke, we would both be dead. - again, there were no signs, just no contractions, ever! It took 2 bags of pitocin to start my labor.

My girlfriends baby was breech and although they went up and turned her she was still not able to be delivered naturally because she was tied up in the cord... Point being - there isn't always warning. A hospital is equipped a midwife is not.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I don't think any of them should be charged. A hospital isn't always the best/right choice for a family, just like at home with or without a midwife is the best/right choice for every family. If something happens and someone dies, why make it worse by charging someone? Wouldn't they feel bad enough as it is?
    Unless something is done that actually breaks the law where a person is at, there is no reason to bring charges against them for their birthing choices.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2010