custody question

My hubby has a child with a woman from a previous relationship. They were never married. The child lives with her mother in another county. My question is, if something ever happened to the mother, would my husband get custody of the child?

Would we have to fight the grandmother or the mother's current husband?

Just a general question...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• if your hubby has nothing to do with the child then yes you have to fight. He will nto get custody of a child he has not been around . and actually if its been long enough with no contact the mom can claim abandone,ent and strip his rights. I would say if he is concerned about it, he needs to go before a judge to get an order of shared custody, its free to go to court on your own, and you can get a free consult from a lowyer.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• He is the father and if he is being a active person in the childs life then yes he will get the child. Part of being a active parent on top of seeing the child normally he should also be paying child support. This is a really weird qution i have to say it's kind of creapy. That's my own take on it.
    Anonymous

• He would have to fight for custody probably. The country the child is in would probably give the child to the grandma.

Answer by louise2 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• OP HERE: Anon :00 My husband and I just finished our wills--who gets the kids and all that. Finishing the will got me thinking about my stepdaughter and what would happen in the event her mother passes. Just asking a general question, is all.
    Anonymous

• Normally, It depends on if the bio mom writes a will. If my dd dies then the dad gets her son even though she wants me to take him. I told her to put it in her will but she won't listen. Many family lawyers give a free consultation so just call and ask what your state laws are.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2010