What is the differance between pregnancy and childbirth?

Why is it completely taboo to drink cofee, red wine, eat certain types of fish, go get your hair dyed, etc but then a women goes three hours past her due date and suddenly all that goes out the window. NOW its okay to pump mom full of artificial hormones, drugs, and other stuff (thats not even approved by the FDA mind you!)
So I ask you....what is the difference? Tell me why these moms trip over the slightest notion of mom having a glass of red wine, but then can't wait to pre-order their elective inductions (sick of being pregnant) and epidurals (because said induction hurts!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• well the moms who do, in detail, what you described are obviously not acting in the best interest of their child. theyre really is no debate in that.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I drank coffee while pregnan, ate fish, not all kidsn i only like tuna and tilapia. i didnt get my hair dye cuz i dont want to damage my hair and i choose to get epidurlas why. cuz i my body and my baby. besides i had epdidurals with both kids with dd it failed so they took it off and with ds it work but 1 hrs before pushing it wore off. my kids were born alert and with no problems, i also had pitocin. i choose my way you choose yours.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I totally agree with you!

Answer by older at 12:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I agree 100%!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Totally agree!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• i dont live in a bubble while pregnant, sorry. i like coffee and even wine on occassion, i even ate (gasp!) trout. but i was not induced, and when i did go into labor (back labor) i was on the verge of passing out with each contraction. so i got the epidural, which slowed labor, so they gave me potocin. had they not i probably would have had a c section. and i really did not want a c section. but yes they do interfere too much with labor. they want women in and out instead of letting their bodies take care of them. birth was not considered a medical procedure until about 100 years ago, so i think they still have a lot to learn about it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• You are right. They do not want to be in pain while having the baby. They are not thinking of the baby in childbirth. They are thinking of them selves. Being selfish.

Answer by louise2 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I got an epidural because I was in labor for 21 hrs.I was exhausted and my midwife wasn't sure if I'd have the energy to push once the time came. I ended up only having it in 4hrs,but I got a few hrs sleep,and luckily so,because he came hard and fast. i don't see the corelation between drinking,hair dyeing,and such,and Pitocin and epidurals. they tell you to avoid these because they don't know on an individual basis what YOUR body and baby can handle. Maybe that glass of occasional wine will be ok,but then again it might not be.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Well for me personally pregnancy was 9 months of hell, and had I gone one day past my due date I probably would have pitched a fit, lol. Luckily my baby came one week early. I WNATED the epi sooo bad. I had it with my first and it was the EASIEST labor ever, which I deserved after the 9 months of hell I had the first time too LOL. I had BAD hyperemesis.

With baby 2, I got to the hospital at 8 cm and had no time for an epi. The pain was HORRIFIC, but thankfully it took one push and he was out. It was SOOO FAST, that the pain made it worth it. I didn't rip or tear either.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• i dont agree with drinking while pregnant. 1 glass of wine equals 3 cans of beer for the baby. i dont want my child drunk before its old enough to even breathe. medicine is different and not selfish but i personally havnt and wont do them unless i absolutely have to. everybody and every baby is different. but there is a reason why there are warning lables if pregnant do not use or consult doctor because there is a higher risk of things that go wrong and proven to cause harm. And if the FDA hasnt approved said medications DOCTORS can not use it or they lose their licesnce. Now midwives and doulias are different they can recommend herbs and stuff. So you really can't say or judge people much on how they do what they feel is right for themselves and their baby. It's ignorance is what it is. Do your research.
    Anonymous