Do your children have a TV?

This was spawned from a post I saw in another group. We have one Tv in our house, in the living room. The kids do have a playroom and each have their own bedroom, but they do not have a TV in either and won't. At some point, when they are Tweens maybe, we might put one in the playroom for video games, but I will address that when that comes. They will never have one in their bedrooms.

How about your family? How many TV's and who has them? Just curious. I am sure we all have our reasons, whatever they may be for doing it 'our way'.

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have a TV in our living room, game room, in our bedroom and one in each of our 3 girls' rooms and they are 4, 10 and 17. I grew up with a TV in my bedroom so I've never been one to see anything wrong with it, but everyone has their own opinion on this subject.
    Anonymous

• we only have 1. it's in our livingroom. she is only 4 right now any way she doesn't need one.
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• We have always had a tv in our bedroom and the livingroom. When the girls were at home. They never had a tv in their rooms.

Answer by louise2 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Yes. We have 6 TVs in our house, although only 5 get cable. There is one in my room and one in the boys room (boys are 2 1/2 & 4), one in the basement (where my BIL lives) and 2 in the living room - One for gaming and one for TV watching. The only one that doesn't have cable is the one for gaming, it's got a PS3, GameCube and other little games hooked up to it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• We have a TV in the family room, the upstairs loft, and our bedroom. One would not work, for there are certain shows I like that DH doesn't, or vice versa. Sometimes I watch TV in the loft while he is downstairs. We each have our favorite prime time shows. My DD likes Nick Jr and Disney channel, so I put that on for her downstairs or if she is up playing in the loft. As for our room, we love watching the news before going to sleep. We watch the news in bed. When my baby wakes to feed, I put the TV on lightly while I BF in bed. As far as the kid's bedroom, my kids can have that when they are close to teen years. There is no need for tv in their rooms now.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• my son has our old tube tv in his room for PS2 only,no cable attached. I have one in my bedroom(cable) and our big tv in the livingroom9cable) My son is 9

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• My 10 y/o has had a tv in her room since she was three... let me explain! We moved to a smaller apt and didn't have room to put our tv in our bedroom so it was put in her room for storage. One day we were playing in her room and I decided to hook up the vcr and play a video while we played. It just stayed in there hooked up ever since. She didn't have cable until about 3 years ago.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• MEL... no explinations needed. We all do what works for our families.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Thanks MOM2 but there has been so much bashing on here lately... WTH?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Our house has 3 tvs. One is in our main room, one is in my MILs main room, and one is in DS's bedroom.

DS can't watch either of the first two without asking. In the morning before we get up he can watch in his room quietly until I get up (I get up at 7 or 8 depending on the day, he gets up at 6) . Certain channels and Show ratings are blocked obviously. He also has to ask to watch that later on during the day (he'd watch 24/7 if we didn't have the rules in place) It works well for us.
    Anonymous