Do you believe when kids eat sugar they get hyper? My kid does!

Okay, I know all of the studies say that sugar doesn't make kiddos hyper, but I disagree, We started to really limit our son's intake of sugar about a month ago, and I swear he is so much better, today I let him have sugared cereal for breakfast, and he had a fruit roll-up,, anyhoo,,,he has been a nut today, not listening, and hyper. I was wondering if sugar affects your kids or is it just mine?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 1:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Health

• Yes! BUT - in your case, it could very well be the dye in the fruit roll up! Sugar affects my kids, but artificial colors make 2 of them worse yet! I limit sugar, but my kids all got a donut this morning - oldest DD had a jelly filled, and the jelly is nothing but sugar & red dye, and she is soooooo nuts I'm ready to tie her up and throw her on her bed! My kids are all affected at different levels - I can feed them the exact same thing and they react in different amounts. I agree that it's not a myth, it's for real!
    Anonymous

• i think its if they don't usually get it,they'll have that extra burst of energy when they do. If you moderate what sugary things your kids gets,I think they'll be fine.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Nope. Sugar can give a small hike in energy, but it's not going to last long and it does not cause hyperactivity... You have a higher chance of energy boosts from carbs... Which do tend to come hand in hand with sugar in most things... But it's not the sugar which causes the extra energy in most cases.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I think it does if they don't get sugar very often. But I agree with Sabrina it only last for a small amount of time and does not cause things like adhd and such.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I've never noticed any of the kids getting hyper after eating sugar. They do get excited when they're allowed to have it though :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I've never really noticed a difference after my 5 year old eats anything sugary. But, we limit the sugar in the house and most things we have are sugar free or reduced sugar (pre-diabetic husband). On the occasions she gets it, there's no noticeable difference in her behavior. Could be that she's always really active and will only sit still to sleep and potty.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I don't agree with it at all.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Sugar can cause hyperness. But it is more likely the artificial food dyes & flavors that were in the sugary cereal & fruit rollup.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2010