my son has been throwing ......

my son is one and he feeds himself, has been for a long while now. recently he has been just rubbing it around his tray and throwing it off the sides. or as soon as i give it to him he looks at me and throws it, i tell him no but idk what to do anymore. he is wasting so much money by throwing everything we give him! hellllp....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son does that too. Especially when theres a large portion on his plate. He sees it is a game. I just give him like a quarter of his full serving at a time and he wont do it. Its like he knows, wow theres alot here, i can throw some. lol. When its a smaller portion he wont do it. Unless hes full.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• have u tried giving him a child fork or spoon? showing him how to use it al all it will be new and more intresting then throwing his food. but kids also tend to do that its fun and when they see ur reaction to it they keep it going. ( like when they do something and u jump because of it he will keep doing it to keep seeing ur reaction ) even a cuss word *sigh* my brother in law is a known cusser and one day my lil guy said it some family laughed so he kept saying it and watching everyones reaction took a lil time to say no u dont say that also said the same to the uncle so the lil guy saw that i also said it to some else. kids will be kids but understand, worse case u stand near him while he eats and everytime he gets ready to throw u stop him till he understands not to do that. best of luck mama...:)
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• He may not be hungry, he may not want or like the food you are giving him--maybe switch it up a bit, and give him less food to throw. If he eats what you give him, happily give him more.

You can teach your son the sign for "all done" which is simply holding your hands up--palms facing you, and turning them palm side out to your child, while saying the words "all done?" He'll catch on quickly. Another good sign is "eat" which is just putting 3 fingers and thumb together as if you were holding something tiny, and put them to your lips, saying "eat?"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I tell DD we don't throw food and to use a fork/spoon. If she does it again I take it away for a while. The issue is part tactile (they want to learn through touch and enjoy feeling the food) and the rest is about boundaries or playing games. If you know what's causing it, its way easier to handle.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 5:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2010