What does YOUR 18th month old say/understand?

Off the top of my head my son says...

1. Momma (or ma or mom) - knows in sign language as well
2. Dadda (or da, or dad) - knows in sign language as well
3. Cracker
4. Ice
5. More - knows in sign language as well
6. Eat - knows in sign language as well
7. Puppy
8. Kitty
9. Milk - knows in sign language as well
10. Water (or wawa)
11. Up
12. Ni night
13. Go
14. Hi
15. Bye
16. Please
17. Ball
18. Car
19. Baby
20. Gaga (grandma)
21. Papa (grandpa)
22. Pool
23. Cheese
24. Apple
25. Yo Gabba Gabba
26. Woah
27. Shoes
28. Socks
29. Pull
30. Push
31. Sit
32. Yes (or ya)
33. No

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of! Anyone know what is normal for a boy his age?

Knows but doesn't say:

1. Nose
2. Ears
3. Eyes
4, Mouth

ours

Asked by ours at 1:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The end of his knows but doesn't say got cut off. I'm not going to type it out again, but as I'm sure he understands a lot more than he can say. The list is seriously endless haha.
    ours

Answer by ours at 1:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I've got twin boys that are almost 18m....and they say most of those, as well as know the face stuff. The more they know, the better! It makes it a lot easier to communicate, for sure! lol
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• At 18 months my son didn't say any words. At 19 1/2 month he went through an explosion of words. Now at 21 months he says more than 50 words and recognizes most of the alphabet and numbers 1-10.

It's amazing how much they know once they start talking!
    Anonymous

• Mine was way ahead, so, you don't want to know about mine. Yours sounds like he knows a lot, does he put any together in sentences?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I have an old video tape of my daughter when she was 2. She is talking to me and at the time I was understanding her words and talking back to her. But now looking back at the video I can not make out a word she's saying. It's funny how we come to understand our childrens words when others may not hear it. My sister is a therapist and people will come to her and say their child can say 50 words and maybe she can get them to say 5 or 10.

Anonymous

• mine speaks in full sentences and paragraphs
    Anonymous

• Everyone understood my son, so, that isn't always true. ANON 2:02 He spoke full sentences and paragraphs.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• My oldest said a lot of words at 18 months, but wasn't speaking in sentences until he was 2, then he hasn't stopped talking since. My youngest was speaking in full sentences and carrying on conversations at 18 months because he heard his older brother speaking and picked up on it I guess!! He also hasn't stopped talking since.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• My 18 month old knows at least 50 words, and it seems like he's learning at least one new one/day. He can also say 3-4 words sentences.

Answer by missanc at 5:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I made a list of the words my daughter could say but I lost count around 200. She says a lot of words.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 8:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2010