Hot Dogs...ok to eat when your pregnant?

I've heard they're not..but what's your take? Has your OB told you differently?
I've just been craving hot dogs piled high with mustard, ketchup, and relish!!! MMMM

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It will be fine. Go enjoy you one!
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• my doctor didn't ever tell me waht I couldn't eat when I was pregnant. I ate hotdogs when I was pregnant they are 2.5 and 5 now and healthy.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• i ate them right out of the package my entire pregnancy. never got sick, baby perfectly strong and healthy
    Anonymous

• Its fine they just have lots of sodium, that can make you retain fluid,, Have you ever tried a sheboygun hot dog,, best in the world, LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• i'm due in just a couple weeks. i love hotdogs and have eaten them almost every day for the past nine months. i've also eaten sushi, cold cuts not heated first, eaten runny eggs, rare steak and guess what i'm beyond healthy and so is my baby. all those taboos are just made up to scare women into thinking everything harms an unborn baby. i even told my midwives about my diet and they said it was fine
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• i have never heard unti i joined this site that hot dogs and lunch meat are bad for you but nobody can really say why. I eat them all the time and crave them even more now that you said something bout it lol!!! Go enjoy mama!!!
    sam123333

Answer by sam123333 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Go ahead and eat it. My pregnancy was the only time I could actually stomach the things and now my kid can't get enough.
    They aren't really healthy, but eaten on occasion or a few here and there won't hurt anything.
    Like the pp said, they have a lot of sodium so make sure you drink a little more to make up for it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• You have to make sure you heat it to 160 degrees. There is a risk of listeriosis, which can KILL an unborn baby, so no I wouldn't risk it. Read up on listeriosis before you do. Same with deli meats, you have to heat them before you eat them. Even if it doesn't make you sick, it can kill the baby so please just be careful. but yes if you heat it properly you can have a hotdog.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_listeriosis-during-pregnancy_9528.bc?page=1
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• It's not the sodium, it's the listeria that is the major concern.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• yeah i don't believe that for one second because i've eaten hotdogs cold right out of the package for the past nine months (on average one a day) and my baby is beyond healthy and strong as ever
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2010