how can you have contempt for a God you don't think is real?

This is just one example of the things I have seen around cm but it has my interest first you don't believe but you have an opinion and emotions of some sort for a thing you don't believe exist.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is common in CM for sure. How can one lay blame on Him if one believes Him to be a fairytale? lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I don't think it tends to be a contempt for god as much as anger and pain that have resulted in the treatment from his followers...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I have contempt for the IDEA of God.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I think just the fact that others believe in something that makes them happy makes others miserable. And there is nothing like spreading your misery.

Anonymous

• God is a concept - some people believe that concept is a concrete thing, others believe it is just that, a concept. You can have contempt for a concept whether it is substantiated or not. You can have contempt for the idea of say, forced sterilization of women of a certain color, religion or IQ. It is a concept. It has been put into action on several occasions throughout history but it no longer exists in the US today and it hasn't been used in nearly 100 years. That doesn't mean you can't have contempt for someone suggesting we bring it back.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I just read from an atheist she has nothing but contempt for the Christian God To have contempt you have to believe God exist. If you have contempt for his followers I suggest you look at the large picture like habitat for humanity, project Rachel, UICEF, Christian Charities USA , Catholic Charities and salvation army along with the many many many other charities that are christian based and help others. Christian as a whole are some of the nicest, and most generous people I have met.
    Anonymous

• "Christian as a whole are some of the nicest, and most generous people I have met."
    ______
    well lucky you. you have meet some nice ones I'm sure more exist somewere but I have only met a tiny few. the majority of the christians I have meet (IRL & online) on the other hand are truly hateful beings. I have lost count of all the christians from many different denominations who said they were going to rape & torture or kill me just for being a naturalborn witch. my faith says an it harm none do what ye will. the christians have thou shalt not kill. why do so many christians then want to kill me for existing? I believe in God only I dont see him as a single parent. its not God I have problems with I have no contempt for him its some of his so-called followers that want to hurt me that I have a problem/contempt with. these so called followers are full of hate and they give all the good,tolerant real chrstians out there a bad name.
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 2:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• ...are truly hateful beings

pardon me, but I really find this to be a truly hateful thing to say
    gbaby01

Answer by gbaby01 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I have contempt for the chirstian god. I feel that way because all my life I was told this is wrong and that is wrong. MY brothers existance was wrong because he was born out of wedlock. The fact that I loooove metal music is wrong because it is evil, horror movies, tattoos peircings, bisexuality etc etc. I can have contempt for the idea of a christian god even though I do not belive in "him" because "his" rules are what made the better part of my life a living hell!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Usuall;y it's not contempt for god but rather his believers. I mean in a few cases it might be for him(if it's an atheist claiming it I think they're more anti-theist than atheist.) but I think it's rather pointless to be angry at something that doesn't exist.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2010