Would you let your teenager...

my dd Ally just turned 13 and for a birthday present, wants to go to Claire's and get another piercing in both ears. That will make two piercings in both ears. She wants the second one (both ears) in the pinna part. (Don't ask why it's called that----Google it)
I have seen her friends and classmates have three or more piercings in their ears, and we all attend a private Catholic school.
Should I let her? I remember when I was 11 and saw my friend Kendra get 2 piercings in her ear-I begged my mom for one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i don't know. HOw do you feel about it. THis is your daughter and if looking at her face every-time is going to make you cringe then don't do it. If you don't care then go for it. We have the 7-10 rule in our house. We have to think on every major change for 7-10 days if the person has not convinced me in that time period then it is a no go. They can discuss it until they are blue in the face--my decision is passed down. We wait a year and revisit it.
    Some questions I have about more holes are.
    Does she get infections in the ones she has?
    Does she wear earrrings everyday?
    Is she going to be mature enough to clean her ears?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Yeah let her do it. If anything she can just take them out anyway! It wil teach her to take care of certain things because if she does not take care of them they will get infected! I say go for it!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I would let her do it. If she chooses later that she doesn't like it, she can just remove the earrings.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I think it depends on whether you want to instill in her your and your church's values or whether you want her to freely adapt the values of her friends. Sometimes, it can be very good to say to a child that we aren't going to do a certain thing because our values as a family do not allow that. It may mean that we are different, but we can be different and still be just as valuable as those who go along with the crowd. We did that in several instances with our children, and it really made them into very strong and independently thinking adults. You are the parent of an 11-year old, and your values should still be top priority in your home for your children. So, you and hubby decide what you want to teach in this instance, and then let that be what happens.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• @ NannyB
    Actually, I am the proud momma of a 13-year-old
    Anonymous