bad dog!

My 2 y/o lab just can't behave when we aren't home. We have to kennel him to keep him out of trouble. He destroys everything. Also, we have an in ground pool and if we let him outside without holding his collar he will go in the pool without being invited. Any advice?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 2:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Pets

• Ive had a black lab, he was really well trained...thanks to my Dad..But if I was around water, forget it..he wanted in so bad hed be crying and pulling away. Labs love the water, its part of who they are. The destroying stuff may get better as he gets older
    judith106

Answer by judith106 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I know labs are high energy,, but they are amazing loyal dogs!! Kenneling a dog is okay,, you will find in a couple more years he will mellow a bit..now the pool thing is harder,, my friends have a pool and a golden retriever,, they love the water too,, they got a shock collar ( I am not a fan) but they never wanted him in the pool at all, they had some kind of lining his claws would tear. So if you do want him in the pool when you want to swim with him,, I would put something in it that would allow him to climb out in case he gets in when you are not there,,, Labs love the water and it is in his nature to want to swim,, maybe you could get one of those alarms that go off when you cross the line around the pool,,it works by motion detection,, perhaps the noise would scare him,, you could turn it on when you didn't want him and and off when you do? Idk but give him a hug from me,, I miss my lab so much!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Cesar Milan did an episode where the owners had a lab that was always jumping in the pool on them. He did what he always does and got the dog where he would not get in the pool unless invited. Maybe you could do a search and see if you can find that episode and try some of what he did. Not that it really matters but is your lab a yellow? In my personal experience the yellows tend to have the highest energy level out of the 3 colours. Most large breeds tend to mature slower, and usually reach full maturity around about 5 yrs.
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 6:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2010