Why do people suggest using meds for everything?

This is sort of a spin off of another question. Somebody asked if others felt anxiety when trying new things, and a few of the answers said that she should go and get medicated for it. Am I the only one that thinks that we need to try to find another way to deal with things that we find uncomfortable besides medicating ourselves and our kids? Children are over diagnosed and put on medications that they don't need at alarming rates (not discounting that there are legitimate cases). Are we doing a societal disservice to depend too much on medications to deal with our problems?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree with you 100%

People look to medications for a quick fix. And then their medication has a side-effect so they take another med for that, and of course that new med has a side effect too, so there's another med for that. it's a cycle.

My sister has bipolar. She needs her meds to function even somewhat normally. Even when she was making her best efforts to find a healthier life style and a more holistic approach, she pretty much sank if she didn't take her meds.
    I have PTSD (with all that that encompasses, such as severe anxiety, depression, etc) but i am determined to find a more healthy way to address my symptoms. And i have, and i do. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I totally agree with you. I think the medical field is way too quick to just medicate everything instead of actually fixing the problems with other options.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I saw that too. Its a quick fix but really its temporary to take meds, and usually you are right back to where you started. I think in America mental issues arent taken too seriously. This is just my experience from seeing a close family member get treated in the most minimal way because they had mental issues. Its a sweep under the rugg sort of attitude and its embarrasing for some. JMO.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I 100% agree medications do not cure the problem it only mask it a bit temporarily till eventually you need stronger meds,or end up changing medications. I agree with the lady above me! The only time I go to the doctors if if I HAVE to like the kids need to be checked for certain things yearly and they of course need their vacs,my son is suffering really bad from allergies this year as well as me too,so I'm gonna go see if I can get him something to help him feel better until the natural stuff can kick in,
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 3:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I agree completely!! Everyone is so over medicated and throws meds (or the idea of them) at EVERY problem. It makes me crazy. We do not do meds in our house unless they are absolutely necessary. When i told a friend that my Pedi puts natural remedies first and almost never gives antibiotics she looked shocked and appalled! She sai dwhenever her kids had ear infections she skipped the pedi and went straight to the ENT and insisted on antibiotics and "not the low level amoxi cause it never works!"
    Gee....wonder why!
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 3:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• well I agreed until you went into the whole"medicate us and our kids". that pp was about a mom, and maybe she has tried other methods and the answers reflected that?
    but as far as us as a society, yes we are too quit to look for a "fix it right now" answer-but that isnt only meds.....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• i completely agree with you! some people need meds to deal with side effects of other meds!
    my kids haven't had any medications yet.
    i am so glad i don't have to worry about recalls and reactions!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• clapping

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• bearsjen, it was a spinoff of the other question, but I was also referring to our children being misdiagnosed and medicated for conditions they don't necessarily have. I hear of teachers suggesting to parents that they take their kids to the Dr. to have them checked for whatever the new catch phrase is at the time and to be medicated for it. Some parents actually listen to the advise of the teacher. I don't think most of these kids are needing medication as much as they are needing attention and discipline. Classroom ratios are skyrocketing and it will get worse before it gets better due to the bad economy. Our children shouldn't have to pay for that by being medicated for something they don't have. In other words, I am speaking not only about the situation in the other question, but about misdiagnosis and societal dependence on unnecessary medications. I do appreciate your opinion though, and I agree with you.

Anonymous

• Well of course other people feel the way you do. I do. Sometimes medication is the answer sometimes not. I learned the lesson at a fifth grade parent teacher conference. This was my self and other parents waiting to talk to the teacher. They were discussing what medication they had their kids on. This is the T.A.G program kids. No mainstream kids--highly smart and motivated kids. Not the trouble makers unite program. I left there with my mouth agape. My fifth grader has not had any drugs to modify his personality.
    I was so astonished. Simply had never given it a thought. I can not imagine what my kid would have to be like for me to even have this conversation as to what medication he should be on. So yeah there are a few of us out here who agree and practice what you think and say.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2010