allergies//I wanna shoot meself

Both my son and I have really bad allergies itchy watery eyes and stuffed up to the max nose. Claritan isnt working for us at all,so if ou know something that works without putting us to sleep please do post the miracle drug!

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 3:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Health

• Clariton can take an hour or two to kick in. Try some moisturizing nasal spray. It'll help with the stuffed up nose.
    If allergies are a persistent problem, you could try taking the Clariton at night before you go to bed. Since it works for 24 hours, it will already be working when you wake up and will work the rest of the day. It's what we have to do during the bad allergy times.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Zyrtec. For the congestion you'll need Zyrtec-D though. I have chronic allergies and take shots weekly. My allergist recommends Zyrtec. He still prefers it to anything he can write a prescription for. If you see a doctor you could ask about a prescription for Flonase or Astelin. They are nasal sprays that you can use while also taking Zyrtec. The allergy eye drop Optivar is also great, but you'll need a prescription for that too.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• No dairy.

Have a spoonful of local, raw honey every day.

Similisan is a homeopathic remedy that may give you some relief

Answer by rkoloms at 3:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• We switched from Claritin to Zyrtec last year and it really made a huge difference! We actually use the generic form, but it works just as well! My younger kids take the liquid, older kids & I take the pill form.
    Anonymous

• Cutting out dairy is excellent advice, that will knock out the mucus in no time. It might not be enough for severe allergies though. My hubby has had horrible seasonal allergies since he was a child and quitting dairy helped a great deal but he still needs Zyrtec in summer.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Cut out the gluten too. My allergies are 10x worse when I eat gluten. Use Visine Allergy eye drops to reduce the itching. Ask for a nasal spray from your dr. I prefer Nasonex. Rinse your nasal passages with a saline spray. Cold wash cloth on the face helps too.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2010