Infant lifevest, how should it fit?

I just tried on the life jacket I bought DS (14 weeks and 15 pounds) it is the kinds that has the big collar that has the strap on it. Anyways, it seems pretty tight around his neck, is this how it is supposed to be? It is for infants 0-30 #

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 3:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you going on a boat? Yes they should be snug but not tight,,, if you going in the pool,, he can't walk yet,, and the chlorine can be kind of harsh on baby skin,, if it is in your little kiddy pool just get in with him when he plays,,,,I wouldn't think you need one unless you are on a boat,, and yes then you MUST put one on him,, our dear friends have boats and she always used a cloth diaper strip around the inside of the life jacket,, one day a giant boat ran into us and tipped,, thank-god she had the life jacket on him,,,our other friends used to make fun of her,, not after that!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Yes, we will be on a boat and I bought it just for that reason. I just wasn't sure if it was supposed to be so snug or if my baby is just a little chubby but he is way under 30#
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 4:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• You should be able to tug upward on the jacket and it should remain firmly in place, not lifting up over their shoulders or head. Most all of them at that size contain straps that go under their legs... make sure that is snug as well, but not too tight up against the skin.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2010