Do you think you are a better mother than your mother is or was to you?

spinoff

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 3:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I try to be in some ways. But, it's really hard to judge myself like that because I expect everything to be perfect. As I'm raising my kid, I just try to use the way my parents raised me and either do some of the things they did or learn from what I viewed as their mistakes.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• no, my mom is the best!
    Anonymous

• I don't even compare to my mom. She was an amazing mother. Now that I am a mom, I understand all of the sacrifices she made and why she did it. I think I am a good mom but no were near the kind of mom mine was to me.

She passed away before I had kids so I've never been able to tell her thank you from a mother's perspective.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• heck yeah I'm doing a better job than she did! My mom loved us very much & showed us her love in many ways. BUT, she let us do whatever we wanted. We never had rules or regulations, chores, or responsibilities. I could go anywhere i wanted, whenever i wanted starting from a young age. So, we all became deviant brats as teenagers. This will not happen to my daughter.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I won't know until my daughter is at least 25; I do know that I have a much better relationship with my 14 year old than I ever had with my mother.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Money wise nope,, love wise 100%
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Hell yes! I work hard to give my kids the kind of mother that I should have had.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 4:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• well i'd never abuse my kids, lie to my kids, play the victim to my kids, steal from my kids. i'd never deliberately hurt my kids so yes i am a better mother than my mom was
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Most definitely. She was a single mother and we never had much money but that was just part of it. We're just very different people. I loved school and she didn't know how to deal with that. She has always been skinny (under 100lbs sometimes) and I've never been skinny. She used to call me disgusting and obese when I was a size 6 because that's how big she was in her thirties, significantly smaller in her teens and twenties. I was on a diet from age 9 until my late teens but it was impossible. She cooked a lot of junk, lots of deep frying, and thought that eating more than one piece of fruit a day would cause diarrhea so I could barely eat anything with my metabolism. My son gets a healthy diet and I will never try to make him feel bad about himself.
    Anonymous

• no.
    my situation is so different from hers.
    I know that she did the best she could with what she had. And that's the same thing that i am doing.
    Perhaps i am more successful at my attempts, ...but i don't believe that that makes me a better mother. She had more obstacles then i ever will.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2010