How do you deal with dry scalp?

My daughter and I are both fighting with dry scalp and as of late it doesn't matter what I try to do to help with it, it still iches and flakes are starting to get noticed. We've done the skip-a-day with washing it, scalp itch relief stuff, drinking more water, but nothing is helping. Suggestions?

lvns2my1

Asked by lvns2my1 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Coconut oil. Put it on before bed, concentrating on the scalp,wash it out in the morning with a gentle shampoo (avoid dandruff shampoos). Coconut oil is the closest thing to the natural sebum that your skin produces and it works wonders.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Have you tried the dandruff shampoo?
    You could also try to use a little more conditioner and leaving it on the hair for a couple minutes. I usually don't itch after that. Rinsing in cold water has helped me in the past and it made my hair a lot softer as well.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Yes, about once or twice a week we use the Head & Shoulders shampoo and conditioner and we rinse with cool water as well.

I'll try the using a little more conditioner. Thanks!
    lvns2my1

Answer by lvns2my1 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Also, since I started using my daughter's Suave kid's detangling spray my head hasn't been near as itchy. It costs about $3 for two bottles at Walmart.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I have dry scalp and I have used Infusium 23 leave in treatment for years and the Infusium hair products also. I recommend it.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Thanks ladies! Our main shampoo conditioner is Suave Coconut. We rarely switch out from it. I wonder if a switch would help?
    lvns2my1

Answer by lvns2my1 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I would go to your doctor. If your scalp is dry it's not producing enough sebum, however if it's itching and flaking on top of that, you may have developed dandruff. Dandruff is caused by a fungus called malassea (Think I spelled that wrong). You will need a medical shampoo to treat it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• A doctors shampoo or a salon brand are less likely to contain tar that will just coat the scalp rather than clear up the condition.

Yes it is contagious.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2010