Puppies & fleas

We got two new puppies and they had a few fleas on them. We are not able to get into our vet until next month so we bought some flea medicine from the store ( the same kind works on my friends dogs) .... that was this past week and now I was just checking one of the pups and she is covered in scabs and still has fleas on her !

What can we do to get rid of them and that isnt going to cost a ton of money ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Pets

• What stuff did you buy? I always recommend Advantage, or Advantix, which you can buy at a pet store. We take our dogs out hiking throughout the year and have never had a problem with fleas. I work at a grooming shop so I know at some point I am bound to bring a stray flea hitchiking on me somewhere, and even with that my dogs have not had a flea problem in 4 yrs. However to answer your question, you can buy some shampoo that won't affect the drops you put on the puppies and give them a good bath. Always wet the head down first so any fleas on the head will run down onto the body where the shampoo can get them. Work the shampoo in really well for at least 5 minutes to make sure you get all of the fleas, then rinse really well and towel dry the puppies. Good luck, flea season is just beginning :)
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 6:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• dawn dish soap works best espacily for puppies and kittens...
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Wash with shampoo & pick the fleas off one by one.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• You can buy Advantage or Frontline at Pet stores. I like Frontline, it is water proof, repels ticks and kills flea eggs. Just wash them first, wait till they dry, and then apply. (They say it's best to wait 24 hours after washing to let the skin oils build again, but can't do that with fleas)

Fleas are tricky and can lay dormant in their egg stage for MONTHS in your carpet and upholstery, so you have to treat your house as well. Flea bombs don't work because they only treat a 3 foot radius in the area they are sitting. There is a spray called Siprotral (sp?) that works great on rugs, carpet, beds, couches, etc. It is guaranteed to kill the fleas and their eggs. I would not take your pups with you to the pet store if they are not vaccinated though. Don't want to risk them getting sick. You think flea prevention is expensive, you should see the bill for a parvo treatment.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2010