How do you get fresh herbs to last a long time?

I am trying to branch out with my cooking but whenever I buy fresh herbs they always seem to wilt or go bad before I have a chance to use finish using them.

mommyerin02

Asked by mommyerin02 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• hang them or set them out to dry. then put them in jars.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Do I need to put anything in the jars like olive oil?
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• After you put them in jars you can put the jars in the freezer.
    360

Answer by 360 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• If you want to use them fresh for an extended period, you need to keep the cut ends in some water & keep the herbs cool. You can buy something like this: http://www.akitchen.com/store/herb-keeper.html, or just make your own version out of a mason jar, which is what I did.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• The best way to store fresh herbs is to cut the end of the stems and put it in a glass with a little water, then wrap the leaves loosely in paper towel and store them in the fridge. They last a little bit longer this way.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• you can chop them up and put them in ice cube trays with water and freeze them. you can use them in soups and sauces.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• You can moisten a paper towel, wrap the herbs in it and then put in a ziplock baggie and keep in the fridge. I think it is easiest and cheapest to grow your own little potted herb garden. I grow basil in a pot, and I used to buy it for almost $4 a pop at the grocery and the leaves were always old and wilted. Now I just snip off how much I need from my back porch.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 10:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I agree with growing your own in little pots. I used to have the same problem until I bought small pots of basil, thyme, oregano, etc. and put them on my windowsill. It's great.
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 9:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2010