Do those shape up tennis shoes actually work?

It seems like more and more brands are starting to sale them but do they actually do what they promise on the commercials?

I hate my legs and butt and if they work, I would buy them but I just can't justify spending money on something I am not sure about.

mommyerin02

Asked by mommyerin02 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• My personal trainer said he didn't recommend them. He said that some people were having problems because of them. I'm staying away from them.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I watched a news segment about them about two weeks ago and they said that the shoes don't work for excercise and that they can be dangerous if used on uneven or non-paved ground because they're not stable. A friend of mine bought them and she said that they wore out really fast and didn't seem to do much for her for excercise, but that they were very comfortable to work in (she's a nurse) because they were really cushiony.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• No. The ironic thing about the Shape Ups, is you need to walk frequently for them to be effective as a weight loss and toning aid. But guess what else happens when you walk frequently? Yup! You lose weight and get tone! LOL

It's a marketing gimmick....a pretty good one, but it's just a gimmick! You're better off putting your money towards a great pair of walking sneakers or cross trainers that are comfortable and offer extra cushioning in the arch and insoles. New Balance brand is an excellent walking/jogging sneaker brand. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I haven't heard anything good about them either, sorry. Walking lunges have completely shaped up my legs and butt if you are interested in an exercise:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• And they advise not to use them on treadmills or machines. They are designed to keep you off balance. Im a klutz and dont need any help there. No sense buying shoes that make you more off balance.
    kateyez2214

Answer by kateyez2214 at 4:23 AM on Jun. 20, 2010