How to Preventing Postpartum depression ?

I am due in five weeks and I am feeling very tired, irritable and almost depressed. I have suffered PP with one of my pregnancies and I do not want to fall back into that. I have had virtually no support from friends during this pregnancy which has surprised me and my husband travels for two weeks out of every month. It has not helped that I have not gotten along well with my two older teens. My mom has been a major support thank goodness. The funny thing is my husband and I did IVF with this little baby and got exactly what we wanted a little Boy! Why am I feeling so depressed? Any ideas as to what I can do to prevent PP?? Should I just be changing my attitude ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You can't help what your hormones do to you. That's what causes depression in these cases. Just let your doctor know that you suffered from PPD before, and that you believe that you will again this time so that you can be treated for it right away.

For now, go get a little sunshine (it boosts your mood and energy), take an extra vitamin B complex (it will also help your energy) and just look at your belly and talk to your baby to be. Sometimes just talking about it helps you feel better, and your little guy isn't going to hold it against you!
    Anonymous

• Having a good support system is a big factor in preventing PPD. Getting enough sleep is another big one. Breastfeeding also lowers your risk a bit as well. Also look into taking a good quality fish oil supplement. I am prone to depression and have managed to keep form getting PPD. I think one thing that really helped was learning how to nurse baby lying down and sleep with the baby in my bed so that I could nurse frequently and still get good sleep.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• You know how it is. PPD is about hormone imbalances, not an attitude thing.

One of the best things you can do is catch it early, because the earlier you get treatment the milder the case.

So I'd just suggest talking with your doc and letting him know how your doing now. You might not be at a "diagnosis" level yet, but your doc will be monitoring it, so you'll be able to catch it ASAP if it gets to clinical level, and nip it in the bud.
    Anonymous

• I agree with pps.

Is there a mom's group/ mommy and me group that you can join after your ds is born? Get out and be with people, build a better support system?

Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• Thank you all of these answers are what I need to hear. The great advice will be taken. Thank you!
    Anonymous

• exercise can also help tremendously! just taking a walk every day. make sure you get some sunshine every day and stay active. balanced diet will help too. and dont be afraid to tell your husband how you feel. when i'm feeling down i try to see the bright side of things, even if it seems stupid and small there is usually some good that comes from every bad thing in life.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• PPD is a hormonal thing, like the other's said. Things I've heard help are exercise, proper nutrition, breastfeeding (a lactation consultant told me that so take it with a grain of salt, that woman would do anything to convince you to nurse), and get out of the house. Sunlight and interaction with other people is excellent for boosting your mood. When I feel down, I grab one of my friends and we out the babies in the strollers and go for a walk.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2010