How to pay for Cancer care?

Say you have cancer. We all know its expensive! From the biopsies, tests, numerous visits, Chemo, the neulasta$ six thousand dollar shots, surgeries and all of the daily radiation. A year long of treatments! Then all of the follow up care. What do you do if you're unemployed, down on your luck and no insurance left to cover it? What do you do? What can you do? You have no savings, assets or family to help, no one. When you contacted Like ACS And the major Cancer care places. Do you just give up and have nothing taken care of? I guess its easy to just give up and let it take you... Any hope or ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2010 in Health

• I don't know the exact name but isn't there an American Cancer Society? What are all these people raising money for if not to help people get treatment? What do the major cancer care places suggest for you to do? They have to know. Can you have the treatment and take on the debt and worry about it later when you are healthy?
    Anonymous

• All those societies are for cancer research, not for paying medical bills. Basically, if you get cancer, you're screwed.
    Anonymous

• I would try AFLACs charity or go to Mexico. I thought I had canver, turned out to be just a huge tumor. I prefer holistic treatment.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• My mom was diagnosed with cancer in 2004. She did not have insurance, (she was considered uninsurable because she had cancer previously in 1994.) The put her on emergency state funded healthcare. She received phenomenal care from the moment she was diagnosed, until the day she died.

Mom2theboy1994

Answer by Mom2theboy1994 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• you can try your state funded healthcare (medicare/medicaid)?
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 7:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2010

• I hope this is not your situation. I know that in our area, people have fund raisers. There is a local bar that allows people to keep a percent of the night's sales. Some people have silent auctions. I know it won't cover everything, but it helps. Some states will cover a person under Medicaid if they are without assets. Normally, the cancer treating facilities know where to send people for care. I know how tough it is to cover medical expenses. My credit is permanently screwed up due to medical bills.
    tomatoqueen

Answer by tomatoqueen at 3:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I would first say try the state insurance (public aid) but Its not always that easy. A very close friend of mine just lost his mom to cancer and now he has been trying really hard to help his dad keep their house they have had for ever. Needless to say, it isnt looking very good. And sadly, the major problems happened when his dad couldn't handle telling bill collecters on the phone that she just wasnt home, he got upset and said she passed. well, now they have been pushing harder than before and they are losing everything. This country sucks (well government does) money is the root of all evil :(
    lilpunk77

Answer by lilpunk77 at 5:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• Personally I do not beleive in chemo I know so many ppl who have refused chemo and lived so much longer then ppl who do get chemo thats just the way I feel if I had cancer I would not do chemo at all not only do you die faster but you get so sick on it so there is no quality of life while your taking.
    Anonymous